• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

a qball rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i had a dump driver that would leave before he was full, so i pushed a big boulder in front of his truck before i started loading black dirt.
sure enough, at 3 buckets, not 4 and a horn, he took off and whacked the rock.
he came unglued and i laughed at him, which only made him more upset.
he called the owner of the company i worked for, as the driver was an owner-operator, to whine and the owner asked, did qball tell you to leave?
um, no.
well then, what is the problem?
bwaaaahaaahaaaa.
he came after me with a hammer a few weeks later, but it was worth it.

special tool

i had a dump driver that would leave before he was full, so i pushed a big boulder in front of his truck before i started loading black dirt.
sure enough, at 3 buckets, not 4 and a horn, he took off and whacked the rock.
he came unglued and i laughed at him, which only made him more upset.
he called the owner of the company i worked for, as the driver was an owner-operator, to whine and the owner asked, did qball tell you to leave?
um, no.
well then, what is the problem?
bwaaaahaaahaaaa.
he came after me with a hammer a few weeks later, but it was worth it.

Did you really do that?
Well you are a troublemaker for sure...:D

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i did and have done worse.
operators>drivers.
if they do as they are told, no problem.
no listen, big problem.

dozerdave

On a dam job I was loading 120 ton Dart bellydumps with an 18 yd. Dart loader loading impervious material for the core. One of the teamsters would always pull in, give me a big smile and pour a cup of coffee and hold it up to tease me because I never had any spare time to drink coffee. At lunch time I told the cat skinner to go up on top of the cut and push over some wet clay. When that driver came in I had the wet clay packed in my bucket, pulled up to the truck, hit the brakes and dumped the 18 yds. all in one lump. Funniest thing you ever saw, him and the hot coffee bouncing around in the cab.

I only had 1 driver ever try me on and he didn't get the job done. I was loading 10 wheelers with a 988 loading shot rock feeding a crusher. A rock about the size of your fist went off the corner of my bucket, hit his cab protector and on to his hood. He came out of his cab and starter for the loader. I stopped and stood at the top of the ladder and told him when your head gets above the tank I am going to wear out this pair of White's on your XXXX face. That changed his mind. The truck broker was driving his truck in the string and when he came in I told him what happened, he reached behind his seat and handed me a cat bar and said you know what to do with this. Yep. He told all the drivers that night to stay in their trucks or get run off.

D5G

oh, i am sure they aren't ALL bad.:tong
there are a couple good landscapers, i'm sure.:Banghead:Banghead

I dunno, most I see are just wannabe operators....:Banghead And the rental companies aren't usually too fond of them either, machine leaves nice clean, dent free...comes back looking like it came back from a steel recycler.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
My trucks were enjoyable today. Lined them out in the morning, no issues. I think if operators would lose the attitude you can get along with most truck drivers. I will agree that some are out to get us, that doesn't sit with me very well, but if everyone shows up in the morning without an attitude one way or another, the day goes much smoother.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
I HAD AN IDIOT PULL UP BEHIND THE 980 ON THE RAMP TO THE CRUSHER!
HE WANTED TO ASK A QUESTION!!
IN A LANGUAGE I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH!!!
i wish i could ban drivers like a mod bans a teenager;)

special tool

I HAD AN IDIOT PULL UP BEHIND THE 980 ON THE RAMP TO THE CRUSHER!
HE WANTED TO ASK A QUESTION!!
IN A LANGUAGE I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH!!!
i wish i could ban drivers like a mod bans a teenager;)

Dude - now you're just being picky....
Don't you have mirrors and 14 foreign-language dictionaries in the cab??

You gotta be prepared - no sympathy for you today...:D

Turbo21835

Dude - now you're just being picky....
Don't you have mirrors and 14 foreign-language dictionaries in the cab??

You gotta be prepared - no sympathy for you today...:D

Not an issue of being prepared or not, that area around the crusher is off limits to trucks for a reason. You have enough to deal with when charging a crusher, no need for added traffic in the area.

Got my own driver story today. On site setting up to pour curbs tomorrow, by myself, but thats another story. Delivery driver from a depot of homes pulled on site. I told him not to turn around, i would back him out on the road. He had no weight left over his drives, and the stone material on site is a little on the boney side. Sure enough, spins the tires. He figures if he jams the lockers, he can go. Nope, buries all four tires. So I knew what was coming, already had a cable out of the truck and was on my way over with the backhoe. Told him this was going to cost him, he was more than happy to pay. I let him hook the cable, and was pulling the truck before he got back in the cab. Much easier that way, it takes the idiot out of the equation

D5G

We had a real clusterscrew on the pipe job today, two trucks from the same company on site at the same time, one getting loaded, one dropping off 304's. They about hit each other 10 different times, the site supt was having a fit (which seems to be a daily basis) it makes things interesting. And then last load of 304's comes in, laborer directing the truck driver, we were close to power lines,( I don't blame the driver for being careful, but jeez!) which the laborer was watching for him. That wasn't good enough, he'd raise the bed 3 inches, get out and look and go 3 more. Needless to say, laborer wasn't happy and he tied the laborer up for a half hour just for one load of stone......ahh....it s a wonder anything gets done on this job.

JDOFMEMI

Q-ball

I love the one about the rock in front of the truck.

I have chased trucks accross the site with a full bucket when they left early. One guy got away, so I stopped the next truck and explained to him that the next truck to leave without a full load and ALL of them were getting replaced. That motivated them.

Many years ago, while running a 980C loading belly dumps, the ones with 2 short trailers, I had one driver out of 17 that would pull under the bucket, then as I was about to dump, he would pull up another 1/2 trailer length. Other times, he would pull under then stop 1/2 length too soon. After about 4 or 5 times of trying to explain it to him, I quit being nice. I seen him coming so I got a huge load of nice wet material I had saved for him, and i waited back a good ways untill he decided where to stop, then THREW the whole load into his lead trailer. It rocked him so hard his truck came off the ground. The next driver would not pull up for me, but got out and came to see what happened. I explained to him why I did it, and told him I would load him as nicely as I had been all day. When the newly educated driver came back, he was able to park directly under my bucket, and so could all the rest of them.

On another job, another operator was spreading fill with a 988 loader in a narrow spot on a levee. There was a spotter who would send the trucks up one at a time, as there was only room for one on the fill, and each load needed spread before there was room to dump another. One truck drove past the spotter, up the ramp, and got creamed by the 988 wide open in second reverse. It destroyed the truck. I wish I could find the pictures. It broke the frame in 3 places, and even broke the engine block. As proof God sometimes watches out for idiots, the driver was uninjured.

A good truck spread makes an operators day nice. Too bad there are not more of them around. We do get some good ones though.

td25c

qball,I have alot of experience helping truck drivers with the wrecker.Truck drivers deal with job site issues as well as equipment operators and they get to fight the traffic on the busy highways,so my hat is off to all the truck drivers for a job well done.Now for a good truck driver story.My buddy called me and said his truck engine had a miss in it and it would only miss when they were driving the truck.It was a fertilizer truck and I told him to bring it by the shop and I would take a look at it.Well,I checked all the fuel lines & fittings for leaks,Then I went to check the drop tube in the fuel tank and I noticed that there was only about 6 inches of fuel in the tank and it was the long style bullet tank so when they were on a hill or if they hit the brakes the fuel went to the front of the tank and the injector pump got a gulp of air making it miss.So I put some fuel in the tank to fix problem and called my buddy and reminded him to put fuel in the truck to keep it from having an engine miss.Dang! truckdrivers,we cant live with them and we cant live whithout them.Thats a true story Q.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
25c...that is pretty bad when you have to remind the truck driver to put fuel in it! That's funny. :D

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
I walk in every body's shoes... guess that's why my feet hurt... lol

Haul Road:
DSCF0833.jpg
DSCF0834.jpg

Spot truck:
DSCF0835.jpg

Load:
DSCF0836.jpg
DSCF0837.jpg

OCR

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Then, I have to dump... by myself:
DSCF0822.jpg
DSCF0824.jpg

And then spread.
DSCF0825.jpg
DSCF0829.jpg
DSCF0831.jpg

But it is kinda fun... for a while... :rolleyes:

OCR... :)

Bully

I saw something yesterday that blew my mind. 8 yes eight, count them, 18 wheel drivers made a pile of refuse right in the middle of our plant. Wouldn't be so bad if they had got that stuff close to the 5 STORY HIGH pile of refuse. Or dumped it across the face of the pile.

This stuff bisects the crushing plant in a straight line, and chokes off access to the K-1 and K-2 stackers. It is already a tight squeeze over there. Heres the best part.....

They even had a spotter. :rolleyes:

Turbo21835

Dont knock the landscapers, they do important things like plant trees, and hydro seed fire hydrants. Not only do they make our finish grades look more better, but they also dump their mulch, black dirt, and trees right in the middle of where we need to work. They can move mountains with their little dump trucks, skid steers, and tractors. Not to mention, place big rocks, and run underground piping "sprinkler systems" They are great with their pipe work, you should see them put in their pipe in a fine graded parking lot that is ready for hot rock. They leave it looking exactly they way it looked when they showed up

Status
Not open for further replies.