• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
It's always cool to know the history of things. I'm certainly fascinated by it. Extra cool that you got to see the old photos. I'm glad that you were able to leave the tree. It's obviously old if it is a 12' diameter at 3' off the ground. Where I work, we push over 40-60' Ponderosas and I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of it. Especially when I consider how many years it took for it to get that tall. Maybe I'm becoming more of a "tree hugger" as I age

Thanks for sharing CM.

Yeah I guess I'm getting softer with age. Although it does depend on the tree. It could be a 5' around sweetgum and I'd take it down with a delight. :p

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Finally got the new 325 to a jobsite. Addition with a new loading dock for a biomedical lab. We finally got a job close to the yard, it's about 15-20 mins away.

Mob'd in Monday. The 65' foot manlift is a rental from the Cat house since there are several trees to take down and no way to do it except from top down.

IMG_6293.jpeg

Topped the short pines then pulled them over. The first official work this machine has done.

Feb-21-2024.jpeg

This pic shows how close the trees were to the existing building. The guys had to take down each tree limb by limb and trunk by trunk in 3-4' pieces. Tedious work but at least the brush didn't require additional processing to fit in the truck.

The pine to the left of the manlift had a huge poison oak vine attached to it. Even if poison oak is dormant the oils can still mess a fella up.

Ol' big boy behind the 325 was taken down as well.

IMG_6295.jpeg

Once the pines were topped out the 325 made easy work of the rest. Taking down the poison oaked pine.

IMG_6300.jpeg

Oxbow

Sweet!

This is the first electric over hydraulic machine for you isn't it?

We didn't like the feel of our 330 at first but have become accustomed to it. There are a tremendous number of adjustments that can be made to the feel and hydraulic priorities.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Neat pic from the manlift showing the overall area. It's a tight site with a lot going on. To the left of the WM compactor is the 2 existing loading docks. This facility gets 10-15 deliveries a day from Sprinter vans to UPS short tractors. That and we have to extend a 6" DIP sanitary sewer lateral from the left of the pic, across the loading dock area then run parallel to the compactor to the new addition. Fun stuff.

Feb-22-2024 (3).jpeg

Feb-22-2024 (2).jpg

Pines down, processed and ready to haul out Monday morning.

Feb-23-2024 (2).jpeg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Wrapping up our downtown remodel and parking lot project we started back in '22.

Parking lot finishing up and the only thing we had left to do was put the cast iron dome grates on the Nyoplast inlets.

IMG_6307.jpeg

New 5 story wood framed apartment project on the other side of the bridge. They started after this project and just now dried in.

IMG_6306.jpeg

Now for the funny part. Landscape PM came up and told us they only had 6 loads of topsoil figured for the parking lot and our grades were off in the "island" which took 6 loads of topsoil to fill in. We informed PM that it wasn't a typical landscape island, it was a bio-swale that requires a special planting mix. His reply - what?

It's on the drawings... and the city inspector has to sign off on it.

Love it when another trade we work around comes up and without even asking a question tells us we made a mistake. In this situation it could end up being an expensive mistake.

So basically now the entire parking lot drains into 2 - 10" HDPE pipes to the UG detention system. The green nyoplast basins with dome grates are designed for overflow not everyday rain fall.

IMG_6312.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Back at the lab project.

Our erosion control sub was busy down in south AL and there wasn't much silt fence to put up so we did it ourselves.

Typical wire backed silt fence with t-posts.

Feb-26-2024.jpeg

Pic back in Sept when we were bidding the job. We salvaged the 3 picnic tables. Going to put one up at our yard and the guys are taking the other 2 home. One for them and one for their mom's backyard.

IMG_5724.jpeg

Same area above - Tree and stump debris hauled off along with the CMU brick pavers and faux stone decorative walls in the break area.

Feb-26-2024 (1).jpeg

Rubbing the paint off the recently painted and refurbished 48" bucket. :p

Feb-26-2024 (2).jpeg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Project specs called for 2' of undercut from the ground surface then import structural fill to sub-grade. The existing soils were a very loose sandy clay with organics. What probably happened was the excess cut on the site was pushed out in this area and not compacted since it was a landscape area. That's what we would have done.

2' UC by the building. The new addition will match the FFE at the man door.

Mar-1-2024 (1).jpeg

The new building addition will be in the foreground with a new dumpster enclosure and loading dock on the left in the pic.

IMG_6329.jpeg

Main hoe operator trying out the payload feature on the 325. Not normal having this dry of dirt in Feb/March.

Mar-1-2024.jpeg

End of the day Thursday.

IMG_6330.jpeg

hvy 1ton

We informed PM that it wasn't a typical landscape island, it was a bio-swale that requires a special planting mix.
So, they filled in part of the swale with their 6 loads of topsoil and then buried the rest of your subgrade with fill dirt? Could you post the bioswale detail drawing so I can figure out what it's supposed to look like?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
So, they filled in part of the swale with their 6 loads of topsoil and then buried the rest of your subgrade with fill dirt? Could you post the bioswale detail drawing so I can figure out what it's supposed to look like?

So our scope of work was the Nyoplast yard inlets, 10" ADS N12, 6" perf underdrain, filter fabric, 6" washed stone (#57's) and 2" choking stone (#8910). Basically a big assed french drain the entire length of the swale. The soil media, pine straw and plants are designed to retain and filter the runoff which were not in our scope and should have been installed by said landscaper.

bioswale.jpg

What happened was the landscaper just filled it up with unscreen topsoil to to the 607 pavement and 606.5 yard inlet elevation which eliminated the soil media, pine straw and ponding depth.

Essentially making the entire parking lot sheet drain to the 4 Nyoplast inlets which have one 10" HDPE pipe going to the UG detention system.

Keith Merrell

So our scope of work was the Nyoplast yard inlets, 10" ADS N12, 6" perf underdrain, filter fabric, 6" washed stone (#57's) and 2" choking stone (#8910). Basically a big assed french drain the entire length of the swale. The soil media, pine straw and plants are designed to retain and filter the runoff which were not in our scope and should have been installed by said landscaper.

View attachment 306824

What happened was the landscaper just filled it up with unscreen topsoil to to the 607 pavement and 606.5 yard inlet elevation which eliminated the soil media, pine straw and ponding depth.

Essentially making the entire parking lot sheet drain to the 4 Nyoplast inlets which have one 10" HDPE pipe going to the UG detention system.
Good deal on cervesas that day?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Need me to come down and scratch the counterweight on a retaining wall? Spare you the agony of the first scratch....

Too late. It's a tight turn out of there and the lowboy caught a tree limb giving a nice scratch down the side. Operator was 4 shades of pissed off. Tomorrow's a rain day so he's going to china freight to buy a buffer and some rubbing compound. It's not to bare metal so it might buff out.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Received around 1" of rain this morning so we wrapped up the parking lot downtown with the bioswale..

As talked about up thread this is nothing like the design called for. The drain basins with the metal domes are supposed to be 6" above finished grade.

The seal coat is not on the asphalt yet so the ribbon curb is holding water back and yeah that's another homeless hilton in the background.

Hardwick-Mar-15-2024.jpeg

4" PVC clean outs at the end of the 6" perforated under drain - 4 EA, 2 in each swale. This will probably be needed to flush the underdrains out.

Hardwick-Mar-15-2024 (1).jpeg

The CO will probably never be used but it's there per the plans.

Hardwick-Mar-15-2024 (2).jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Back at the lab project.

Crew stripped the entire area 2' below existing ground per the geotech report and hauled it all off. We didn't have a truck available so the geotech had us use the bucket penetration test to see how the subgrade held up.

Basically take the 325's bucket and raise the tracks off the ground around a foot. If only the teeth sink in and the machine raises up, the ground is good to fill on. I forget the actual PSF this indicates.

Mar-4-2024 (1).jpg

Mar-4-2024 (3).jpg

Placing imported structural fill. This material came from a friend of mine's place not far from our equipment yard. Really nice sandy red dirt that is great to work with handles water pretty well.

IMG_6349 (1).jpeg

The site is so small and the lab was worried about vibrations from our 84" padfoot so we just used the two trench rollers to compact the fill. By some miracle unbeknownst to be we were able to keep both trench rollers going at the same time and finished the job.

You have to keep the lifts thinner obviously but we hit compaction specs.

Mar-6-2024 (3).jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
As we are filling an area we always like to get the loaded trucks up on the fill lift not only to help with compaction but perform an unofficial proof roll each time. This will tell us how the fill is really being compacted as the nuke box can lie from time to time with bad data. A loaded 85K lb tri-axle rolling over a lift is like spandex and innocent children - none of them lie. Dirt tech observing.

Mar-6-2024 (2).jpeg

Pad finished out.

Mar-8-2024 (1).jpeg

Side note on this project. We had a GPS model built early on so we would have it ready when we started. GC had their surveyor come out to set us 5 control points, pretty standard procedure. Well not this time. The surveyor the GC hired could not calibrate the original surveyors control points - some were out 3-4 tenths horizontally and even worse 3-4 vertically.

Hired surveyor worked on it for 2-3 days and quit. After talking to him he said he was basically so busy with good paying work that he didn't want to be drug into a mess created by someone else and be liable. Can't argue with that.

So we had to resort to old school methods or rather the GC did. Our contracts state we need 5 control points provided by a licensed surveyor paid by the GC for our layout. Since the GC couldn't provide that we pushed it back on the GC to perform all layout.

Yeah it turned into a cluster...oh well.