• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

980 v8, ok or run away?

oarwhat

Kshansen You beat me too it while I was typing. LOL The checking frame stop clearance is what I'm talking about. Those two nuts are tightened or loosen to adjust. Your instructions are more vague but that's good because mine are backwards LOL

Neily

Sounds like I need to track down a workshop manual lol. Didn't realy have a good look at the brakes, I think some of the boosters on the front are missing completely. It's still got them on the back. Fuel leak is somewhere in the valley or the filter area, leaking down the front of the block. The fans doing a great job of spreading it around lol

oarwhat

The centering adjustment is easier than it looks. Now that I have a picture.
Loosen nut #7. Back it way out as it covers nut #18. Nut #18 has one or 2 set screws in it. loosen them. Then leave it all loose and move #18 until the steering is centered. Don't adjust it while running as it may move the linkage while your in there!. Leave it loose and then adjust for frame stop clearance by moving those two nuts. You may have to recenter it. Now this all works well if the linkage is ok. Usually they're not quite right but you'll get it to where they work ok.

oarwhat

Sounds like I need to track down a workshop manual lol. Didn't realy have a good look at the brakes, I think some of the boosters on the front are missing completely. It's still got them on the back. Fuel leak is somewhere in the valley or the filter area, leaking down the front of the block. The fans doing a great job of spreading it around lol

I was always going to see if a standard can would work. Let me know what you do.

Neily

The rears are only ordinary 30/24 truck ones I think, got dark before I had a chance to see. Ill have a better look tomorra

oarwhat

The rears are more normal looking but the originals were not standard cans . Since these give trouble from time to time I rebuilt all of them on my latest machine. The next year one leaked again!!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The rears are more normal looking but the originals were not standard cans . Since these give trouble from time to time I rebuilt all of them on my latest machine. The next year one leaked again!!

The original ones had a piston in place for the diaphragm like a "normal"30/30 truck chamber has for the parking brake side. The originals did have a chrome shaft that came out when the brakes are locked on that would often get worn and cut the seals. I don't see a reason a "normal" 30/30 can would not work just fine as long as there is room to mount it(them). Might think about using a "Long Stroke" version.

kshansen

Occupation

If a workshop manual is not to be found let me know and I might know someone who could have one I could scan some pages out of and email them to you.

Neily

Hi all, haven't realy had a chance to work on the loader until last night. Pulled the centre exhaust section off to fix the holes in it, it's certainly seen better days but hopefully a bit of weld will keep it going for a while. I'd imagine a new one would have a pretty scary price tag, turbo exh housing is just as bad. I've never seen cast rust like this stuff on any other engine cat must of used some cheap rubbish for these parts. Managed to buy a service manual off eBay so that will come in handy to. Anyone made an exhaust manifold before? I bought a Bridgeport clone at the sale where I got the loader so I'm tempted to try and fab one when I get some tooling.

oarwhat

Try pricing at CTP or ACT Prices for the 980B stuff is cheap. Not sure how much aftermarket there is for the V-8's

CaptainAnalyzer

Occupation
Young business owner
My company has one (980A/D336) sitting in a pit with no tires on it if you ever need any weird parts I'd be happy to make a deal with you.

Neily

Yeah mate that is exactly what I need, shipping is pricey though. Gonna be $400 landed here. Need a turbo too might see if he has one aswell.

Neily

Funnily enough I rang them the other day and the guy I spoke to said they didn't have anything, I rang again today and mentioned that loader and the bloke went and had a look for me ( different guy ) anyway $200 manifold and $400 turbo perfect! Thanks for that kshansen.

kshansen

Occupation
Funnily enough I rang them the other day and the guy I spoke to said they didn't have anything, I rang again today and mentioned that loader and the bloke went and had a look for me ( different guy ) anyway $200 manifold and $400 turbo perfect! Thanks for that kshansen.

So do I get the 10% commission on the sale? Well would have to split it with d9gdon! He's the guy who actually found the parts machine. Glad we could be of even a little help.

Neily

Thanks d9gdon! Lol, can't wait to get it fitted up so I can give her a good run. Hopefully it will go a lot better with some turbo boost.

d9gdon

Glad to see you got the parts that you needed. I'll bet it works a lot better when you get it on there.

I'll never understand parts yards. They'll have a paid advertisement for something in the yard but I guess they're too lazy to go look for a part, or for a part that got sold two years ago. Why waste my time and yours? And there are so many like that too.

Neily

Hi all, apparently my "new" turbo has lost it's compressor nut ant eaten it damn! Housings are good though so I'm gonna make one out of two. Bearings are a different size though, why must everything be different!image.jpg