• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955L Replace Chains, Sprocket, Springs and other stuff

AllDodge

Should get some more slack once the chains loosen up a bit. This pic shows the chain is real stiff

Photo847.jpg

AllDodge

Picked up the parts and as a parting (pun intended) gift, CAT (Whayne Supply) charged me $53 for handling fee. For that amount of money they could have shipped it to my house.

Dickjr.

Sounds about right. Call them up and fuss , they should refund it , argue the point that you picked it up and the parts most likely came on a truck that runs daily anyway.

AllDodge

I'm thinking now the master shoe will need to be cut down, the master is 2 inch the regular is 1 3/8 inch, hell that's 5/8 I have to remove. In hind sight I should have used the old shoe and welded a strip to them. If I leave it without cutting and go across the highway, I'm going to leave a couple deep marks.

Would ox axe and then grind be the way to go, or something else?

Photo851.jpg

AllDodge

If you're good with a gas axe and can cut down a chalk line that would be fine. IMO you won't need to grind it if you have a relatively accurate cut.

Guess I'll find out how good I am. Others do a real nice job, have an auto dark helmet with adjustments but always seems to be to dark to see clearly

lantraxco

Use a guide bar, I'm too shaky to cut a decent line without one. Piece of 3/8 flat bar on edge works well for me.

AllDodge

I've tried good polarized sunglasses and when done, I have the spots in my eyes, just like when I looked at bright light.

Decided to take it to the local welding shop and he said it will be done tomorrow.

AllDodge

Why is the Croc' plate a double grouser plate when your other plate groups are triple grouser?
tctractors

Appears they are all that way even CAT, don't know if this is just the 955 with D5 tracks or all D5's. Just looking at the holes, the master holes are closer together about 1/4 top to bottom and left to right. By eye balling and measurements, I don't think there would be enough room to get the socket shoulder over the head with a middle grouser and the closer spacing.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Why is the Croc' plate a double grouser plate when your other plate groups are triple grouser?
tctractors
The problem was that the old tracks were pin-type master links and so all the shoes were the same. The OP bought croc-style D5 links and the bolt pattern of the master shoe is different so his old master shoe wouldn't fit.
The shoe the OP bought is an 8E-4725, I assume the dealer recommended it. In post 133 a couple of pages back I posted that I was 99% certain a 9K-9869 triple grouser shoe from the later 955L and early 953 would fit correctly. If the 8E-4725 fits the croc link correctly then the 9K-9869 would also have fitted. The bolt holes in the 9K-9869 are spot-faced taking away a tad of the grousers in such a way so that a socket can be fitted on the bolt heads.

AllDodge

Sure wish I would have understood what you were telling me about the 9K-9869 better. I did buy the 8R-4725 because this is what the dealer advised. Wonder if the 9K-9869 would also need to be ground?

Just looked in SIS and either I don't know how (my bet is here) to find it using the basic search and part number, or it is under another number

tctractors

That double bar plate would bother me rotating around as a constantly reminder of something I managed to get wrong, just as a point of interest the 2 bar plates work best on 951 through 977 and are a stronger plate giving better grip on the dig with the same psi loading as the 3 bar plate.
tctractors

lantraxco

I remember it being rather common after the alligator links came it to have two bar masters with three bar shoes due to the odd bolt pattern.