• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955K Transmission selector issue

JimInOz

Hi Guys,
Working on restoring a 955K,which has sat idle for several years.Not a particularly well maintained machine.
I got the engine running yesterday,but couldn't select any gears on the transmission.
The selector gearstick & associated levers work OK, but the selector arm on top of the trans feels "spring-loaded",& I can't feel the usual "click" as a gear is selected.Just a lot of spring-loaded resistance.
Would this be due to lack of use/lack of lubrication thru the trans....or is there another issue here?
What are the next steps to take?

Thanks for your advice.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
You did not post a S/N so I took a guess at a 71J ------ Prefix and for that one it has what I would call a normal spool valve with detents that should should go click, click, click while going through the gears just like say a 966C loader.

Did a little more digging and looked under the 85J prefix and that one seems to have what they call a "safety valve" the description of operation is:
The safety valve shifts the transmission speed selector lever into NEUTRAL position when the oil pressure in the transmission hydraulic system lowers below 100 psi (690 kPa) or when the machine is not in operation. Pressure oil retracts the piston during normal operation to permit free operation of the speed selector lever.

So if there is something not allowing the pressure to get to or above 100 PSI you would get the "problem" you are seeing. I'm attaching the part of the Description of Operations that shows this "Safety Valve" and explains it's operation

Attachments

• 955 controls.pdf
    250.4 KB · Views: 16

JimInOz

Thanks KSH,
It's an Aussie 57J .
That info will be helpful.I'm trying to find out what works & what doesn't,so I can assess if I should wreck or repair.