• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955K shifter linkage questions

houser

Which tank is it that is under the belly below the driver's seat? It has about a 2" drain plug?

houser

AllDodge. thanks for recalling that. Yes, I cleaned that out back during that time frame. As I recall, it was not bad. I had posted what i found. I can check again though

houser

I changed out the oil and I think I changed out the filter
I used trans-hydraulic oil that I think was 15w

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
For your type of climate a multigrade TDTO oil would probably be the best thing. Cat call their version TDTO-TMS. Other oil sompanies also produce a similar product.
These oils work exptremely well in climates that have significant ambient temperature variations between winter and summer. They are pretty well de rigeur in Canada.
It is worth remembering that mutligrade powertrain oils meeting TO-4 specification were not on the market when your machines were first built.

Attachments

• Cat TDTO-TMS.pdf
    239 KB · Views: 3

houser

Nige- thanks a bunch. I have been looking for a brochure like this!
It looks like I can use current hydraulic coils between 10w and 30w pending seasons. Do you think I can use a multi-grade oil that is made for heavy equipment but not necessarily made by Cat and get similar performance?

Nige

A correction. You do not want to be using hydraulic oil of any type in a transmission. Hydraulic oil does not contains the friction modifiers necesssary to work with transmission clutches or with wet brakes.

The oil you are looking for is usually called a powertrain oil and should meet Caterpillar TO-4/TO-4M or Allison C-4 specifications. Most oil companies manufacture multigrade versions of it. Monograde TO-4 oils such as 10W, 30, or 50 are usually mineral oils, the multgrades seem to be generally synthetics. Here's the Phillips66 offering - https://phillips66lubricants.com/product/powerdrive-synthetic-all-season-to-4-fluid/

houser

Nige. Do you know where transmission fluid might be going? I don't see any leaks but am low on transmission fluid and I am pretty sure I filled it up previously

AllDodge

What do you mean by the case?
It can run into the belly pan, leak to final drive, into cooling system from oil cooler

Nige

Am I right in thinking that both the fill points for the transmission and the rear end are right next to one another on your machine.?
The transmission fill point is arrowed, the other one is the rear end. If you are not 100% certain that you filled the correct one when you were topping up with oil IMHO your first step really ought to be to set both levels correct, then monitor them going forward.

upload_2020-5-13_16-26-54.png

houser

Nige, AllDodge, thanks for your responses. Nige- Those are the fill points. I have topped off the tranny fluid before and I ran it yesterday and found I was low on tranny fluid. I put what I had on hand and it was fine. My rear end fluid (labeled "case") is actually over full and I am not sure how to drain some of it out. I don't know where the tranny fluid went. I don't see anywhere that it might have leaked.

AllDodge -
It can run into the belly pan, leak to final drive, into cooling system from oil cooler
Are you saying the tranny oil can leak into the final drive? Does the fact that I seem to be over full in my "case" or rear end play into the possible issue? If so, what might cause this or better yet, what do I need to fix?

AllDodge

Are you saying the tranny oil can leak into the final drive? Does the fact that I seem to be over full in my "case" or rear end play into the possible issue? If so, what might cause this or better yet, what do I need to fix?

Yes seal number 17 is what keeps the oils separated and if it fails then tranny leaks into bevel gear.
Under the machine there is a plug (item 27) for the bevel gear to drain it. It way be covered by a access plate with smaller bolts

The final drive fills plugs (item 25) are on each side

955 Bvel Gear.jpg drain.jpg

houser

Yes seal number 17 is what keeps the oils separated and if it fails then tranny leaks into bevel gear.
Under the machine there is a plug (item 27) for the bevel gear to drain it. It way be covered by a access plate with smaller bolts

The final drive fills plugs (item 25) are on each side

View attachment 217467 View attachment 217468
AllDodge, thanks! How much of job is it to replace seal 17? Wh as t problem will happen with mor oil in the rear end than what should ?