• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

953b value

catman85

So my boss sent me to look at a 953b this morning its an old ranch tractor so its had the typical low maintence plan. Here are the cons.exhaust is gone past the Turbo obvious oil leaks on the motor lots of grease/grime built up on motor. Needs new belts and teeth.unknown hours. Pros new rails sprockets pins and pads. Starts up good runs smooth. Typical white/blue/black smoke on start up. No smoke at high idle or low idle. How much is it worth knowing the work that needs done plus the unknowns. He wants to put it to work an make some $$. Neither he it the owner know wat its worth. The owner acquired it in a recent real estate deal
3y7ygumu.jpg

yga2y7u8.jpg

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

Bob/Ont

Not a bad looking machine. That broken exhaust pipe is a problem, hope it hasn't been run long like that. A broken pipe makes the Hystat Cooler a Heater when exh gets blown through the core. If the cooler and rad show signs of carbon from exh may best leave it. If the cooler and rad look clean it should be a good machine. The 43's and 53's had a very durable HPCU, it was almost the size of the one in a 63 or 73 and only handled a fraction of the HP. Can't help on price but many here can.
Later Bob

catman85

The Rad looked decent I'm sure the pipe has been gone a long time but I don't think it would b a big issue as when they did run run it it was for short times dig a hole here an there knock a few dead trees down etc....

Dickjr.

I would guess 12 to 15 grand , the exhaust repair is no biggie. I would wonder how long its been run that way though. The bottom looks nice, My figures are based on what it might bring at auction.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I would guess 12 to 15 grand ,

That would be my range, the high side being $15K. Without being able to see the machine in person it's hard to determine a value. Failed components can rack up $$$ real quick, keep that in mind. Repairs to keep the machine running can easily top the purchase price on an old machine.

Truck 505

Pretty sure that is a 953, not a 953 B just going by the looks of it. Might want to post the s/n so someone can check it out for you plus it will say on the tag what it is also.

catman85

I was figuring mid teens and I know one final drive being bad is almost or as much as the machine. Were are goin next week and going to top all the fluids off and wash the motor off and running a few hours and see wat happens

d9gdon

That looks like a good one. It has the typical leaking o-rings on the fuel line adapters going thru the rocker box on a 3204. I don't think the exhaust pipe is a big deal if the gauges work as it has a coolant and hystat temp gauge. It's just a piece of flex pipe coming out of the adapter from the turbo to the muffler.

Worst thing I see is that the AC compressor is missing or was never equipped with it. Looks like the mounting bracket is over there though, just no hoses. Auto glass company can come out and put a new front window in for $160 and side one for about $75 around here.

Can't tell for sure but looks like an LGP, which is 05Z serial number. They were only 16" pads IIRC.

catman85

I'm in Texas so the windows being busted is no biggie since no AC..and it has the smallest pads I've ever seen on one! I think maybe a 12"

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I'm in Texas so the windows being busted is no biggie since no AC..and it has the smallest pads I've ever seen on one! I think maybe a 12"

Yeah with no A/C, I think I would take the doors and the rest of the glass out if it was mine.:cool:

Matthew

Occupation
Carpenter
Far from an expert here, but that looks alot like my 20z 953A. I noticed you posted about the exhaust being gone, just the elbow from the turbo to the muffler pipe for mine was almost $600, Couldn't find it aftermarket. We paid $15,000 for ours, with a near perfect undercarriage.

catman85

Little update we ended up getting it oredered the parts to fix the exhaust yesterday 725$$$. Also going to do a full pm this week...anyone know how much oil it holds been forever since I changed one....also anyone know how much a d6m holds going to do them at the same time

catman85

Hell I dunno lol...... figured it was all the same for the early 953s

Matthew

Occupation
Carpenter
according to my Cat maintenance manual, my 20 Z holds 15 liters (4 gallons) in the crank case

catman85

That sounds close as I think the 53cs hold around 6

wmshooke

Occupation
Mechanic
Anyone have a PDF manual for a 953 LGP 20Z?
We are looking at buying one, but it has some engine oil leaks on the 3204 DI, and wanted to get an idea of cost to repair.
Thanks