• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

950 cat wheel loader

mark2601

Hi, we have a older 950 loader and when we turn it to the left it turns fine, but when we turn it to right, it only goes half way, we try adjusting linkage and other things and nothing works, we can get it to turn all the way if we run the valve by hand, we took the steer box arm off and that seems to bee working fine, anybody have any suggestion would be great..thanks

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums mark2601! :drinkup

mark2601

Pete...don't know off hand, if this help ya, it has the arm off the side of the steering box that takes the shock out of the steering, can go and look and get back to ya what serious it is...thanks Mark

wrench2556

Mark, If I remember correctly on those models there was a small box on the left side of the machine under the cab that had something to do with the steering linkage, it has been quite a while since I worked on one, but i seem to remember that there was some sort of rod ends that would wear out or break causing your problem. Check it out and I will look in my service manual monday to be sure. You say you can steer it fine by hand so that would leave steering cylinder packing out. Billy

dirtmandan

Mark I have a 950 that does the same thing. My problem came from pulling it around when it wasn't running. From what I understand it is in the steering box at the bottom of the steering column. The guys over at A.C.M.E. have discussed it before, I'm sure they could be of help if you asked them. I just haven't looked at mine yet as it's only been about ten years since it happened. It's on my todo list for sure . Let us know how you do. Good Luck

Raptor700

Has anyone figured out what the problem is with the steering on these cat 950a i am currently working on one and would like to expedite the problem through experience. Thanks

Bob/Ont

Has anyone figured out what the problem is with the steering on these cat 950a i am currently working on one and would like to expedite the problem through experience. Thanks

Have you had your machine long? Was it always doing that or just start? Has it been pushed with engine off or had collision?
Later Bob

Raptor700

Have you had your machine long? Was it always doing that or just start? Has it been pushed with engine off or had collision?
Later Bob

The machine recently started doing this because we pushed it around the yard when it wasnt running other then that it was fine thanks

Bob/Ont

The machine recently started doing this because we pushed it around the yard when it wasnt running other then that it was fine thanks

You have bent the follow up linkage or sheared a woodruff key in the steering box pitman shaft. Start with the anchor that holds the end of the follow up linkage to the front frame under the floor plates below your feet. Steer it a bit to get a feeling which way it is bent then try straightening it and adjusting as you go. With the linkage off and the link to the valve off as well work the lever to the valve back and forth as you turn the wheel through a few full turns. The lever must move freely as the wheel turns or you are into an expensive steering box repair.
Later Bob

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not exactly an "approved repair" but I have seen these corrected by straightening the follow-up linkage arm by pulling the machine in the direction it won't turn to by it's self. Original poster said his would not turn to the right, so get another machine to pull it that way, a little at a time and check progress. Once it is pretty close to being right there is an adjustment procedure you can use to fine tune it.

Disclaimer: This method may work or may cause other damage to linkage. Someone messed it up by moving it with engine off and now you have to decide what you want to do to fix it. Another option is to replace the follow-up linkage arm with new, if they are still available.

cdm123

Pushed mine in to the shop once and broke the pitman shaft, only pushed with a bobcat but steering by moving the cats bucket side to side. now I know better.

mymachine

hi everyone i m new here......i just want to know is their any thread in here helping to find out service code(CAT 950H) description...plz reply:confused: