• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

89 case 580 super E no power problems

Hello , I have a 89 case 580 E with a cummins 3.9 B series. I have owned this tractor for 5 years. Progressively over the years, it slowly has lost power. What I could do in three gear , now second, and now first. The injector pump was leaking out of the throttle shaft. It to progressively got worse. That should be the problem. Sent pump out to Rockford Diesel ( a reputable dealer ) to be completely rebuild. Still no power. This machine does not blown smoke or oil. Starts very easily , purrs like a kitten. Is there anyone out there able to help me? I am a diesel mechanic, and have worked on equipment for over25 years . This one has me stumped. It has a lucas ( Delphi ) pump . The timing was set when they rebuilt it . I do not know how to check it if it is off though. Thank you for your time. Brad

jackleg

The foot throttle linkage on my 580C is worn so that when all the way to the floor, the pump itself is not at full throttle.
Are the engine rpms at full stall speed? A few hundred rpms make quite a bit of difference on mine.

sheepfoot

Start with the fuel filters and air first. Next is the RPM's engine high idle is 2330-2370, low is 850-900, rated at 2200 rpm. The hyd stall is 2260 rpm, the converter stall is 2100 rpm, and the combined stall is 1625-1675. Hyd stall is neutral with loader lift only, read rpm. Converter is 4th gear with the brakes locked in forward, read rpm's. The combined use the converter stall with the loader lift, read rpms. This is a starting point to see if it is engine or converter. Also you can check the hyd pressure on the loader main relief 2400-2500 psi. Most would do very little work in 3rd gear other than roading, 2nd did good to fair depending on what you were doing. 1st did great but needed a little more speed.

Yes I am defiantly getting full throttle. I tend to think the problem is in the injector pump or timing. I just don't want to go back to the place that rebuilt my pump and injectors without knowing for sure.

Unfortunately the tachometer does not work on this machine. I have not put a pressure gauge on it but it does have good strong hydraulics . If you load the hydraulics heavy it will bog the engine down pretty easily. I replaced the air and fuel filters at the same time I did the pump. Thank you for your input.

Mobiltech

You need to know your stall speeds as sheepfoot said and eliminate the converter . They have been known to cause low drive power.
And make sure your fuel supply pressure is good.

casetech7

i may be confusing a 580d with your 580e but i think there inj timing are set the same, slightly loosen the 3-9/16" nuts on the pump and you should be able to turn the pump several degrees, the mounting holes in the pump should be slotted, with the engine running at idle rotate the pump until you here it change slightly, tighten pump bolts and check high rpm and make sure your not overspeeding the engine…in your case listen. unless you max the pump adjustment out i don't think you'll do any overspeeding, your a diesel mechanic I'm sure you know what to listen for, a few degree adjustment can do a lot to your power, and if you had the pump off I'm sure you didn't know to mark it. i hope this works for you

sheepfoot

Your engine is a case 207, the E is a cummins and you lock the pump before removing it, there is a timing pin that goes into the camshaft gear, loosen the lock bolt on the pump and slide the tab, tighten the bolt to the spec. Remove the cover to the nut and pump drive gear, remove nut and install a push plate to pop the shaft out of the gear. Pump and shaft stay together. Seems like most are marked, pump housing to engine cover, I put a line on them if they don't.
crazy cooter, you may find someone with a strobe tach , I have a all-test and a cat service unit that has long leads, use the tape on the crank pulley and mag mount to the engine for the pickup, that may get around the dash tach issue.

Ok first off thank you everybody for your responses. Sheep foot gave me some homework to do. I repaired the tach drive. Checked system pressure. It was at 3200psi turned it down to2500psi. Wide open throttle no load I have 2400rpm. Under hydraulic load it drops to 2300rpm. Under load in 4th gear it drops all the way to 1450rpm. Under load both hydraulically and in 4th gear drops to 1150. I am assuming that this means my converter is bad or should I check timing and fuel pressure first?

sheepfoot

I would change out the converter if it were mine, the drop in rpm's on the combined stall down to 1150 rpm's could be a one way clutch in the torque converter failing or other internal converter issues. With the engine staying within spec on the loader stall, I don't think you have a engine issue.

It is going to be a few weeks before I will be able to get this in the shop. I plan to buy a converter and go through the power shuttle as long as it is out. I will let you know how it turns out. I have never rebuilt a power shuttle before, but it looks pretty straight forward. I have a parts book bu not a service manual. Hopefully it won't be to costly. No idea what a converter will cost but clutches and seals shouldn't be to bad. I guess I'll find out when I go to the local Case dealer. Thanks again for now.

rmk4x4

i just did my 580 super E last week i had about 1k in it rebuilt the convertor was 425 the seal kit was 315 shipped and another 215 for the charge pump My prices will be a bit more than most since most places like the bend us over for shipping to alaska