• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

862 Deere engine rebuild

deepwater

About my second post here in as many years guys, so bear with me. Have an 862 John Deere which is intermittently losing water into the sump. Once again intermittently blowing steam out the crankcase breather and the occasional hydraulic lockup on starting. Have resolved myself to an engine rebuild suspecting a pin ***** hole in a liner or a sealing ring problem at the bottom of a liner. I may be lucky and find it is only a head gasket but I doubt it! Has anybody else got any bright ideas please? Now my real problem, I can't find an engine serial no. anywhere. There is a block casting number RG243300198 but I have been told the serial no. should have two letters then 6619T as the start of the ID. I have looked behind the fuel filters and everywhere I can think of. Alternatively can anyone help as to what the difference is between these motors as there seems to be 3 or 4 different rebuild kits available depending on this serial no. Heeeeelp please. Very frustrated OZZIE here :)

Last edited:

cutting edge

Love the fact I can't use the word p.r.i.c.k

only in 'murica.

If you have the machine serial number, any reasonable deere dealership can look up the build for that machine.

As well, if your local dealer ( if there is one) has done ant work on it, they will have a record of the serial numbers of the machine components.

deepwater

only in 'murica.

If you have the machine serial number, any reasonable deere dealership can look up the build for that machine.

As well, if your local dealer ( if there is one) has done ant work on it, they will have a record of the serial numbers of the machine components.

Thanks cutting edge, I did try that but my dealer reckons it is too old and hasn't got that information available. I will try another JD construction dealer in a different State and see if I get the same response. Thanks.

C130 eng

If i am not mistaken and it is a John Deere engine that should just be a 404 used in the 30 series tractors or 466 engine used in the 40 series tractors . They are the same engine used in ag tractors in the 70 and 80s. If it is a sixtys model its the same engine that is in a 5020 JD tractor.

deepwater

Thanks C130, to the best of my knowledge it is the 6619T engine in the 862 scrapers. 6cylinder, 619 cubic inch, Turbo intercooled. It is just that there are 3+ rebuild kits available and knowone seems to be able to tell me the difference. They are all different depending on the engine no. ??

Showpony

Thanks C130, to the best of my knowledge it is the 6619T engine in the 862 scrapers. 6cylinder, 619 cubic inch, Turbo intercooled. It is just that there are 3+ rebuild kits available and knowone seems to be able to tell me the difference. They are all different depending on the engine no. ??
Deep water check your water pump seal hasnt failed and the seal drain isnt plugged, it would well worth checking the intercooler core as well. I knew a guy who did an 6619t in a JD5830 he had the same problems sorting out what his engine was and what parts fitted. 619 and 531 JD have pretty thick liners so i would be suprised if you had pitting if you where using an appropriate coolant, good luck

deepwater

Thanks Showpony, I will definately check that water pump out, another guy suggested oil cooler and intercooller also. I am a little confused about the hydraulic lockup on starting only occassionally. It could be as simple as a head gasket. Here's hoping. I don't know of the coolant history unfortunately, this machine was new to us 4 years ago so has 25years of history unknown. I am super busy for the next week and then we are onto it one way or the other :)Cheers,Peter

Showpony

Thanks Showpony, I will definately check that water pump out, another guy suggested oil cooler and intercooller also. I am a little confused about the hydraulic lockup on starting only occassionally. It could be as simple as a head gasket. Here's hoping. I don't know of the coolant history unfortunately, this machine was new to us 4 years ago so has 25years of history unknown. I am super busy for the next week and then we are onto it one way or the other :)Cheers,Peter

Your hydraulic lock up could well be a leaking intercooler core. coolant will leak down through the inlet ports into combustion chambers through any open inlet valve, it will also continue to seep down through your piston and rings and into the lube oil.
I would advise inspecting the underside of the head regardless of what you find, to check for rust on bores and other damage, and most importantlly, carefully, check your pistons are all the same height.
you could avoid lifting the head by using a bore scope and a dial gauge through your injector holes.

deepwater

Thanks again Showpony, I reckon we might lift the head to have a looksy, I had thought of the intercooler and have a spare here if it doesn't stand up to a pressure test. Forum has been great for keeping me on track :) Cheers,Peter......

deepwater

Ok guys, We have the head off and pulled pistons and liners today. I have a hole in a liner as I suspected. This old girl definitely didn't have coolant run in it for a while. Anyway problem found, the head has been changed out at some stage and is in great condition. Crank is great, so off to a good start. Still can't locate an engine number but it looks as if the RG24330 on the side of the block is a JD part no. for a short block replacement which may not have had an engine number assigned?? Does anybody know if this is possible? I have perused the JD website and tried to match pistons,conrods,bearings etc and have come up with an in frame rebuild kit (RE524385) that I think is correct. Now I am thinking of importing a kit to OZ from the States. Aftermarket is roughly $2500 compared to $4200 genuine. Has anyone had experience with the Clevite factory kits please? This is doing my head in!