• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

850 b dozer

Jon Odalen

hi all- first post. I have access to a friends Deere 850b dozer that has over 8k hours on it. we have been using it for stump removal as we are creating some new pastures. recently we have had some issues with it that have led to me doing a bunch of PM stuff. New fuel filters, new Hydro filters and new air filters. It tends to use hydro fluid so that's always being topped up.
Big issue is that it has stopped moving. after the recent air filter change (engine was running ruff) the engine smoothed out and we got a good 1.5 hours of use before it started struggling to move again (it had kinda done the same thing on and off for a few days- but we put that down to chocked off air). the engine sounds great but no forward, no reverse at any rpm.

any insights would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Jon Odalen

Which Guage is that? There are two red-orange warning lights. Oil press, engine temp. Etc. But All normal except one of the orange lights is lit. The one one the right

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Is the light below on when the engine is running? Are the filters you have the ones mounted on top of the hydrostatic reservoir, or the one mounted above the transmission?

If they are the filters mounted on top of the reservoir, then that might be an issue. One set are the suction filters for the left charge pump, and the other set are for the suction filters for the right charge pump.

Also, you need to get that gauge working so we can determine which direction to start heading.

Trans filter light.png

Jeembawb

Check out dirt perfect's youtube channel he has had an 850b for a long time and talks about how it is a common thing for 850b's to lose transmission drive. I remember a video from early this year I think where they pulled the 850b into the workshop for a full service and some repairs and he mentioned some of the transmission issues common to this model in the video somewhere... lemme see if I can find which video it was and put a link in here...

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If you are going to want to work on this machine, then you will need to acquire the Operation and Test Manual TM1332.

The hydrostats on that unit are very complicated due to the system they use to control it, and the first thing you need to check is the charge pressure.

I PM'd you.

Last edited: