• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

763 Bobcat Fuel Pressure

bobcatjay553

hi i have a bobcat 553 having problems with it only had it for 2 weeks first week it was ok then started to want to stall when you whiped it around i thought it needed gas so i added 5 gal no good but it stall ran and worked now im working on a hill im stuck now i when down started to stall put the bucket down to lift machine level started to rev back up lowered bucket tryed to back up died starts back up gos back a foot or two stalls out now it runs like crap even on level just wants to stall any help would be great

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
hi i have a bobcat 553 having problems with it only had it for 2 weeks first week it was ok then started to want to stall when you whiped it around i thought it needed gas so i added 5 gal no good but it stall ran and worked now im working on a hill im stuck now i when down started to stall put the bucket down to lift machine level started to rev back up lowered bucket tryed to back up died starts back up gos back a foot or two stalls out now it runs like crap even on level just wants to stall any help would be great

First; when it stalls, does it collapse the fuel primer bulb? If it does, you either have a kinked fuel hose or the fuel pickup tube in tank is clogged. If it doesn't collapse the primer bulb when it stalls; fill fuel tank completely, then see if it will run. If it does, the pickup tube is broken off inside tank. Hope that helps ya. :)

bobcatjay553

the primer bulb is collapsed i noticed today if i stut the machine off a while and start it it runs for ten min great then collapse again

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
the primer bulb is collapsed i noticed today if i stut the machine off a while and start it it runs for ten min great then collapse again

If the primer bulb is collapsed, you either have a kink in the fuel hose or blockage of the strainer screen at the end of the fuel pick up tube inside the tank, common Bobcat problem.

tmcpeek

I am having the same problem on my friends 753. I was driving it in reverse and it dies out on me like it was out of gas. Added some diesel, opened bleeder valve on top of fuel/water separator and squeezed bulb until stead stream came out. Opened knob on injector pump and then loosened all injector nuts and had wife crank engine over until fuel came out of all 4 injectors. Tightened back up and it ran great for about 5 to 7 minutes and then stalled out again. Check fuel bulb and it seemed empty. Lifted cab and found the 2 grommets with the fuel line. Cleaned off tank with engine cleaner and pulled off front most grommet, it only had a small piece attached to it about 1 to 1.5 inches. Diesel level in tank was about 1/2" to 1" below the hole where I removed the grommet so looks to be basically full. Did not pull the rear most grommet yet. Is the pickup tube in the rear most grommet under the hydro stat valve? Is the front just a return?

If the pickup tube flexible so it will come out from under the hydrostat? Please help, I need to return this to my friend but would like it to be running.

Cannon

Occupation
Father, Husband, gofer
I had to unbolt & tilt the cab; trace the engine supply fuel line; remove that line (closest to the front of the machine); and: 1) Replace the engine supply fuel line (bulb to tank); blow out the 90 degree elbow it attaches to; reattach the supply fuel line; and install a new fuel line and filter inside the tank. Approx 1hr: Fuel line think ran for 1.40/ft, non-rotting fuel line inside tank is a necessity-so ask for that- .80; fuel filter 3-4.00; AND 02 clamps for the main fuel line to the bulb; AND 02 "different-type clamps (ID when you inspect the elbow). So all for under 20 bones.

Cannon

Occupation
Father, Husband, gofer
And wouldn't hurt to inspect the bulb for age/pinhole leaks. Tracking with your concern about returning in good shape.

tmcpeek

Thanks, got the cab tilted back and found the 2 90's on top of the tank. As soon as I have a second pair of hands I will have them pull on the line to verify which one it is. I took the front out and the tube is only 1" or so. Hopefully that is the correct one. If so off to Bobcat to get the stuff. Thanks for the reply.

tmcpeek

Verified that it was the front one and that the fuel pickup tube broken even with the bottom of the 90. Off to get parts. Once I get them I will take some photos of what I have done to hopefully help others. Thanks for the help.

I remember reading this thread a while ago and filed it under "remember for future use" in my memory and I am glad I did!

About a week ago, I parked my BC 763 and all was well with the world then last Saturday I needed to move something with the forks so no big deal, jump in and crank her up, well only for a few seconds, it was stumbling and surging then it died. I checked the bulb and it was full but when I squeezed it it did not come back up. Ok let it wait until I can get to it.

Yesterday (Tuesday) after looking this thread up and re-reading it, I popped the cab up and found the fuel tank with the fittings on it in only a few minutes. I had to lay down over the control linkages etc to get to it but in under 10 minutes from opening the cab up, I had the fuel line out of the tank and found a kink in it, yep that would keep the fuel from flowing for sure:tong then as I was gently handling it, the strainer fell off and dropped down into the tank and the rest of the tube broke into 3 pieces, two in my hand and about 2 inches left on the steel fitting. So tonight I will be off to the dealer to pick up some rot resistant fuel line and a new strainer.

Thanks to this board, a lot of time was saved in getting to the bottom of the situation! Thanks guys!:thumbsup

Well, she is up and running again. Under 10 bucks for the parts at the dealer, less if I had just used regular fuel line.

I put the new filter on the new tank line, I re-used the grommet as it was still good, I slid it down on the fuel line (facing the right direction!) and put the new fuel line on the 90 deg fitting. I put a little mineral oil on the grommet and pressed it into the tank while the grommet was still only on the fuel line to allow max movement of the grommet on insertion into the tank. Once the grommet was in the tank, I pushed the rest of the tube and the 90 deg fitting into the grommet and the job was done. It took longer to bleed the air out of the fuel lines (I had to look up how in the manual) than the whole repair job took.

It ran a little rough for a minute or so but after the remaining air was purged through the system, it just purrs like the cat that it is:D

santo

763 oil cooler

i have a 1997 763 and have a leaky oil cooler--tried to fix won't fix-like to buy a used one or a new one-not from a dealer--any help would b appreciated

thanks dave

santo

763 oil cooler

i need to find a used or aftermarket oil cooler for a 1997 763 can anyone help as my old one leaks oil around the bottom seal --i tried to use bondo but it still leaks

thanks dave

equipmentguy

fuel

check fuel filter and or gas tank for trash. also fuel and water filter

Have a 763 Bobcat with 2250 hours ran great until today. While transporting a bucket of topsoil down my driveway the motor just slowly stopped. It seemed as if it were out of fuel. The needle was low but not empty. Added some diesel, squeezed the primer bulb and I was back in business for about 200 yards!! Then, exactly the same thing happened. Now I know there is fuel in there but what I did notice is that the primer bulb was not hard as it should be? Again, I squeezed the bulb started the bobcat it worked fine for only a short period of time?? What gives?? Any ideas out there? Could it possibly be the fuel filter?? Please help this Newbie!!:beatsme :beatsme :beatsme

Thanks in advance
check your filter and or you tank for trash
seems like a good place to start

Yosemite917

weswhite01

I found this thread after the local dealer told me they would have to pull the engine to solve my fuel tank issue. I bought a new pick-up and hose for $18 and fixed the problem in about 1/2 hour. Thanks for excellent advice.

Now if can just figure out how to sop the engine from running when I turn off the ignition.

pb777

I have a 751 bobcat skid. ON A FULL TANK the machine will run great for roughly 2 hours then shuts off like it is out of fuel.
When I purchased the machine the gauge read just under a half tank i filled it to the top on the way home right on the trailer. ever since then the tank will only accept around 2 gals of fuel and runs for roughly 2 hrs I have taken the feed line off of the hand primer. while that is off, the fuel gauge is reading just under a full tank. I add fuel to the tank, it then begins to flow threw the feed line as it should. this is my first skid steer and am lookin for someone fimiliar with this machine

bill onthehill

Sounds like your pickup hose broke off. Read this thread again. It is a pain in the butt but not impossible to replace in the machine. Patience and long arms help.

wingfooted

Nice thread.

I've got a 2004 Bobcat 334 excavator with same diesel supply and collapsed priming bulb problem.

Took off a few plates yesterday and got to the fuel tank.

Found the T fitting and grommet at the top of the fuel tank.

Disconnected the fuel line.

Tried to pry up on the grommet with a regular screwdriver blade --- sure doesn't want to pop out of the plastic fuel tank. Afraid to get rough with it and tear up the fuel tank.

Any hints ? How to get the T fitting and grommet out of the plastic fuel tank so I can check the pickup hose and screen ?

Cannon

Occupation
Father, Husband, gofer
Designed to be tight is a gimme. I successfully re-used the grommet afterwards on my 753. I'd was hesitant to use additional force but figured it was lesser of two evils... I also accepted/expected some of the fuel line/screen/debris to remain in the tank. I'd committed though to trashing the grommet if had to, and at all costs leave the tank intact. But as a diy fix, and out of time & necessity, I had to have the fuel supply fix completed and back at work.
-I planned to use a razor blade and slice bits of the grommet off to remove, clean up hole, check condition of the corroded line, replace the line/filter, and either reseal with apoxy or purchase another grommet, but didn't have to and was able to re-use the grommet (I know there's some debris left inside though & 200 hrs later - no problems).
-Just brainstorming, how about something with a broader edge than just a screw driver, e.g.: something that catches three sides of the grommet like the $2 door panel pull tool on the rim with a smaller phillips inside the grommet (assuming can remove the "T"?
-'Slippery up the area with cooking oil (not brake fluid=degrades rubber)?
Even then, I'd plan for 'muphy's law of slicing by accident and still ending up with a trashed grommet.

Last edited: