• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

748 G111 Internal Leak

hotsaw

We have a 748 G111 Log Skidder that is somehow leaking hydraulic oil into the axle.
I pressure tested the brake seals at 3000 pounds for 15 minutes and it held fine.
Is there any other way hydaulic oil could escape into the axle.
I think it may even leak just sitting there but not sure. After a couple weeks the hydraulic tank gets low and the axle vent spills over.
THanks a lot for any advice.

acswan

Diff locks on g3's are self contained using the front diff as a resevoir, the only one i've seen overfill the front end it was brake seals.An internal crack in the park brake/diff lock block under the rear left corner of cab could put park brake oil(tank oil)into the front axle,I can't think of any where else it could come from. what year is your machine?

hotsaw

The machine is an '03. Doesn't the park brake use transmission oil?
Could it be leaking between the oil cooler pump to the diff lock pump? (The two pumps on left side of transmission.)
Thanks so much.

Diff locks on g3's are self contained using the front diff as a resevoir, the only one i've seen overfill the front end it was brake seals.An internal crack in the park brake/diff lock block under the rear left corner of cab could put park brake oil(tank oil)into the front axle,I can't think of any where else it could come from. what year is your machine?

acswan

Yeah, your right I was confusing park brake and service brake, park works off tranny oil.Yes, that would be one place it could leak between those pumps, especially with the machine not running as the higher hyd. tank would want to drain into the front diff, if you take that tandem pump off check the condition of the diff lock suction line, we've had a few of these chafe through and burn up the pump

hotsaw

THanks for the tip on the suction line. If I remember thats a whoppin #16 hose coming in to the diff. lock pump.
Sounds like you know the Deere's very well.

Yeah, your right I was confusing park brake and service brake, park works off tranny oil.Yes, that would be one place it could leak between those pumps, especially with the machine not running as the higher hyd. tank would want to drain into the front diff, if you take that tandem pump off check the condition of the diff lock suction line, we've had a few of these chafe through and burn up the pump

acswan

We have 9 jd skidders right now,3 less than 6 months old, the new ones have gone back to no diff lock pump,using tranny pressure for diff locks, they claim no chance of cross contamination in the event of a failure but time will tell.That hose should be made of suction line, i made one from 4wire hyd. hose once and it wouldn't stay tight as it has to move with the axle,to stiff.i'm curious as to where your oil is coming from ,keep us posted

hotsaw

We took the cooler pump off the back of the diff lock pump and the seals were very hard and brittle.
So far no more oil has gone into the axle praise the Lord. Time will tell for sure.
Thanks for all your help.
Are you running any of the JD H models yet?

We have 9 jd skidders right now,3 less than 6 months old, the new ones have gone back to no diff lock pump,using tranny pressure for diff locks, they claim no chance of cross contamination in the event of a failure but time will tell.That hose should be made of suction line, i made one from 4wire hyd. hose once and it wouldn't stay tight as it has to move with the axle,to stiff.i'm curious as to where your oil is coming from ,keep us posted

acswan

We have 3 H's, operators love them, very strong, although weve had a few problems, had to change the pump on one