• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

74 case 350 crawler loader resortation

Hobbytime

Ive had the right side off once, by myself (nobody here to help) except some chains, straps and a machine that can lift the entire dozer. Your right about the time, however, why would a track and chain cause pulling? I could see frozen pins binding, however ive driven it far enough to sort of break things loose.

Im thinking if its not that terrible weld job someone did on the frame where it connects; there is a broken planet gear in the rear diff thats causing the power differential to not be 50/50

I would think if you had any damaged or broken gears you would have heard some grinding or have some metal in the fluids showing...if its not a horrible fix to grind the weld off and properly line up the parts , try that first, you spent plenty of time and $$ fixing it up, for a little more time and effort to get it going straight is worth it before giving up..

hvguy

https://youtu.be/YwJsHJTUjhQ

The torque tube is absolutely bent, its not the carriage. However the large plate that the carriage mounts to is also bent.

I'm not about to hack that HUGE tube off, notch it and weld it all back together (3 days of work) So I opted for the "use a bigger hammer" method; in the form of a 28,000lb telehandler with a log for a buffer.

I bound the front tracks together at an angle so that most of the force was on the tip of the bent track; with a come-a-long, chained the frame to a tree and hit the front of the track with the hammer. A few good hits did it, its driving MUCH straighter, but not perfect. Im going to weld a bar from the frame to the carriage to prevent losing my pre-load... and hopefully when I let the tension off the come-a-long, the other track will flex back out and everything will drive straight.

Fingers crossed.
IMAG1523.jpgIMAG1524.jpg

hvguy

Had to reattach the skid plate before I did any conflicting welding.

Got all the protective covers on, tensioned the track in place with the telehandler only to have it start raining. -_-

Labparamour

It's always something, huh?
Glad it seems to be tracking straighter.
On the brite side, you're getting an intimate look at your machine ;)

DB

hvguy

well well well, its pretty much... almost finished. I dont want to say done, may jinx myself.

Over the past 2 days, I finished installing the electric fan and relay/thermostat, bolted on all the covers and skid plates, straightened the right track and welded a pre-load support, installed new battery cable terminals, cut out a replacement right battery cover from some 6061 aluminum, built up a seat/back rest/ arm cushion from some foam and gator skin from hobby lobby, torched out the holes and installed the rezloh edge. Oh, forgot to mention, I also cut the exhaust off and angled it to a 45 and chopped the tip parallel to hopefully broadcast the noise away from me.

I am in NO way good at upholstery, however I kinda know how to wrap a present... I combined the skills and what you can see is the end product lol.

Upon noticing im almost out of fuel (even tho I filled up when I washed it) I glanced at the fuel shutoff and its leaking pretty bad. My luck, it was fine, now its not.

Ill top off all the fluids tomorrow and im taking it to my property to finally put it to use. Wish me luck.

IMAG1525.jpgIMAG1527.jpgIMAG1530.jpgIMAG1532.jpgIMAG1534.jpg

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Allot of work put into this machine can't wait to see it completed. Do you plan on painting it? I've been following the thread as I can but haven't read everything.
The seat looks good very smooth, I would love to have a band saw like that Dake.

hvguy

well, I got it out to my property and worked for about 45 minutes and it rolled the right track off.....

I went and picked up a friends Kubota SVL90-2 track loader and finished up. Came back out sunday and put the track back on. I plan on selling this as soon as I clean it. This track rolling off was the last straw.

It worked good before the track rolled lol. Im putting together a video of the day.

IMAG1544.jpgIMAG1549.jpgIMAG1550.jpgIMAG1551.jpgIMAG1552.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That is a problem warned of when saw the snakey chains. When they can twist sideways pin to bushing is when they can easily roll off.

Dickjr.

On my 943 the chains were worn out. It finally got to the point they rode outside of the rollers more than in the rollers where they should be. Heavy rubbing marks were noticed on the outsides of the rollers. The chains had lots of snake like fashion once removes noticeable by taking a crow bar or wrecking bar and working between the pads , there was a lot of movement. I would not trash it yet with all the work you have done. Check out your chains and it looks like the track guides are missing as well.

Dickjr.

The pic with the front off the ground , were the adjusters relieved? That is a lot of sag for sure.

Dickjr.

Track guides bolt to the bottom or the roller frame usually two by the front idler and two just forward of the rear sprocket. One inside and one outside. If yours are missing that could be part of the problem.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Not sure if you have operated a crawler much but worn tracks can be finessed a bit by using good operator techniques. For example turning when the track is supported on just the ends is real hard on them twisting and making it easy for them to start walking off the sagging middle. If you can, try to turn when the center of the track is supported as when on a little hump. You will notice how easily it turns, often without using the brake. There are better operators than me on here that can give you a lot more tips. Unfortunately most of my operating hours was with old worn equipment. You learn what you can and cannot get by with when running worh rails. Don't give up on it yet. A few hours on it and you will feel it when it tightens up as it starts to come off, allowing you to stop and reverse direction to walk it back on. Sidehills are tough on snaky tracks also.

Last edited: