• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

69 580ck

Dwol

Guys just got this old guy (69 580CK) and she starts and runs pretty good, but no forward or reverse. I am thinking power shuttle issues. I have read a lot on the potential problems, but figured I would start with pressure. My first test was to open the filter housing in the front, figuring that I would check the cleanses of the filter. Well....no filter in the housing?? Not sure what that is all about, but decided to start the tractor and see if I could see flow through the filter housing. (not sure if it would be gushing out or not). After turning her on, I see some vibration in the bottom of the housing, and it looks like there is some flow, but definitely not what I was expecting. Shouldn't there be a huge amount of fluid moving though this thing?
Kind regards,
Dave

Dwol

Update - I lifted her up in the air, with the hoe stabilizers, both wheels were spinning freely. then put her in gear and tried forward and reverse. the wheels did not even begin to move-like there was absolutely nothing pushing them at all. I would think that if the tyranny discs were the issue (either forward or reverse) then I would get at lease a little grab. The idea that absolutely no movement when engaged leads me to thin it may be something with the shifting mechanism, pressue loss somewhere, or or maybe the clutch release is stuck on or

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
You may have a partially blocked pickup tube for the pump. No filter in the shuttle circuit could open another can of worms with debris blockages or serious wear. I would look at the screen on the tube first. Some disassembly required...

Dwol

You may have a partially blocked pickup tube for the pump. No filter in the shuttle circuit could open another can of worms with debris blockages or serious wear. I would look at the screen on the tube first. Some disassembly required...
I am leaning toward that as well. I know the tube connected to the shuttle assembly, can I pull the top of the shuttle assembly without pulling the engine? Looks like there is enough room. I would like to pull the top off, with the tube, rebuild the assembly, and clean the sludge from the base, tube, and pan, then reassemble.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
This is an issue with the 580 and the 580B. Old gasket material and other debris block the screen, starving the pump. Lots of good stuff on this site regarding getting at the screen, including drilling a hole from below. Do a search and you'll have more information than you ever thought was out there. On my 580, I had the loader, fuel tank and the steering column out on the floor, so getting those top covers off was easy. I pulled down the whole machine and cleaned everything before reassembly. The large adapter plate that the valves sit on has to come out if you want to pull out the tube and the pump, but the screen, if its still there, will be blocked on the outside end so not necessary to pull the tube off the plate. Lots of pictures in these threads will help you understand what the issue could be and the solution. Have fun....

JBP

Good luck. Plenty of pros here to help (not me though)

daved117

I had a similar issue and it turned out there were only half of the teeth left on the ring gear, hope you have better luck than I.

Dwol

I had a similar issue and it turned out there were only half of the teeth left on the ring gear, hope you have better luck than I.
I'm going to find out soon enough what the issue is. (I'm hoping just a clogged screen) I plan to remove part of the dash and try to open the power shuttle compartment from the top. I have read on these forums that it is not necessary to remove the tank for access (just the dash). I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the reply's.
Kind regards
Dave

Dwol

Ok guys,
I opened her up. Looks like I got lucky-the pickup tube is completely blocked. Even luckier, looks like the assembly has been recently rebuilt! I am going to try to clean her up best I can. I think when they rebuilt her, they used too fine of a screen on the pickup tube leading to quick failure. I will be putting a more coarse screen on the tube. Also thinking of doing the drill hole and tap under the base and installing a drain plug. Anyone know of pros/cons of this. I am concerned it might weaken or not seal correctly. Also, how much oil should be in this area. I see very little, only way down on the chamber. I am trying to load some pictures and a video.
Kind regards,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_4088.JPG
    IMG_4088.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 66

Dwol

Looks like the picture worked! (I love this forum!! I am a fordson man, and our forum got all F#$d up when our links to our pictures stopped working) So much work (years of posts) only to lose almost all of our pictures

Attachments

• IMG_4079.JPG
    IMG_4079.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4090.JPG
    IMG_4090.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4091.JPG
    IMG_4091.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 60

Dwol

Also wanted to post a picture of what it looks like to get access to this thing without moving the tank. Only had one bolt that caused a problem. Also both the pump and tube need to be removed before you can take the plate off.

Attachments

• IMG_4084.JPG
    IMG_4084.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4082.JPG
    IMG_4082.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 53

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Now that you have got it apart and identified the issue, you will need to be diligent in cleaning off all the old gasket, and flushing the case to remove any trace of debris that was in the bottom and any that will get in now that its apart. The shuttle demands clean oil, so a filter and another flush after you run it again should take care of the issues for now. Use new gaskets and you likely won't have further problems from that source. RTV type gasket sealers can contribute to blockages so are not recommended. These shuttles like quality oil and will give a decent service life if kept clean. I use Hytran Ultra in mine and there are other oils with the same specs. You will get varying opinions from others on their choice of 'secret sauce' but whatever you use, be sure its clean and up to the standard. I never reuse oil as contamination isn't always visible. The posts on the drill, tap and plug to access the screen give the dimensions for the location. If you choose to go with that, do it while its open and can be properly flushed. Have fun.

For parts, I use Dale Weiss of Tractorstuff. He can supply gaskets or pretty much any other bits you may need at a reasonable cost. My local supplier carries Fleetguard filters and I usually buy them by the box for some savings and to have them on hand whenever and whatever needs replacing.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
When you go back together with her "DO NOT" use silicone on gaskets it will come off and clog up suction screen again

Dwol

When you go back together with her "DO NOT" use silicone on gaskets it will come off and clog up suction screen again
No, definitely not. I have never had any luck with that crap. I will either buy the correct gasket, or make one. I am working with Dale from "www.e-backhoeparts.com" he has been amazing so far on helping me identify the correct gaskets, and seals for the cylinders. Kudos to this forum for recommending him in a previous thread.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Gaskets are cheap and I wouldn't consider making one if it was available. I don't remember the cost but I got a complete set for my 580 from Dale and have gone all new as it went back together. As Coy mentioned in the post above, silicone may have its place but not in applications where it can contaminate the oil and block those all important passages where flow is critical.
Dale helped me get the correct bits several times when my parts book called out one part # and in discussion with Dale was advised that I actually needed a different one. Experience like that is becoming harder to find. My local Case dealer has a decent parts dept but they don't have a clue about this older stuff. I'm happy to have had Dale recommended to me by another 580 owner here and have had excellent service from him. Although I'm in Canada, I receive most orders within a week sent USPS to my home. The local dealer charges extra for special orders and often they quote a month or more. Wasn't too difficult to make the decision to go elsewhere. For hoses and hydraulic stuff, I have a couple of excellent local shops as we are in logging country with great industrial equipment shops.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Sometimes the old ck parts books leave parts out so just go to the 580B parts catalog and get your gaskets from there

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
From your pic I can't see how much filter area there is on that screen, if it is just stripped over the end of the tube tight you have very little filtration area, When I did a lot of these in years past I cut an inch or a bit more off the metal tube then formed a screen around my thumb and left it down so there was a lot of filtration from the sides as well, I have fixed many that the pump picked up starter drive gear teeth and sheared the pump key. I do not believe the 530 series had a screen at all from the factory and if the pipe is not shortened the screen will just crunch up against the casting.. Be sure to turn the clamp so it is in a position so it won't interfere with the casting when dropping the cover back down. Cut my eye teeth on those suckers !!!!

1968 Case 580CK

No, definitely not. I have never had any luck with that crap. I will either buy the correct gasket, or make one. I am working with Dale from "www.e-backhoeparts.com" he has been amazing so far on helping me identify the correct gaskets, and seals for the cylinders. Kudos to this forum for recommending him in a previous thread.
Hello Dwol........I have not had much time to visit this site lately, but looks like you have a rig very similiar to my 68 580CK. Best of luck doing your repairs, and if you are like me, you will learn a ton from doing the work and getting advice from the guys here. A Big 10-4 from my backdoor about Dale from Tractor Stuff............he was a HUGE help to me a couple years ago, always willing to go the extra 100 miles, and giving his expert advice on the repair work, and the prices on parts were hard to beat. As I told a friend, if we had more people like Dale in America, we would not need Donald Trump to "Make America Great Again".......instead, America would automatically be a great Republic once again.