• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

670a John Deere Motorgrader transmission problem

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
For me at least I would say that confirms it. There appears to be what looks to be small almost "squares" of clutch facing material on that screen. However I have no experience with Deere grader transmissions, you need confirmation from one of our resident Deere experts.
Did you keep the material by any chance, and id so can you post a photo of the material only against a white background and spread the larger particles out a bit..?

lantraxco

Nige,

You are correct, and on these common sump Deere's the inboard brakes are often a major contributor. When they get through with the linings they start throwing cast iron grindings usually.

Nige

Am I understanding you correctly that the brakes and the transmission share the same oil..? What f**kwit designed that system..? Don't answer that - probably the same one that put the parking brake inside the transmission on Cat graders .......

....on these common sump Deere's the inboard brakes are often a major contributor. When they get through with the linings they start throwing cast iron grindings usually.
In that case I suggest to get a magnet and check for magnetic particles amongst that black sh1t.....

beav

Appreciate your input guys. Unfortunately, I didn't keep any of the black crap, so can't check for metal.

lantraxco

Rear housing:

TP5381_________UN01JAN94.jpg

Brakes:

T59693_________UN01JAN94.gif

Very common Deere system, lots of AG tractors use it, backhoe loaders, etc. Wheel loaders of course have separate drive axles so at least they have some protection. Did we mention that the transmission pump supplies charge oil to the hydraulic pump? LOL.

beav

What involves replacing inboard clutch. Don't claim to be a mechanic...raise beef cattle. Brother-in-law is a tractor mechanic. Can this be done out on the ranch, or does it need to be hauled for repairs?

Last edited:

Delmer

If it's still drained just wipe your finger around the drain hole, or the screen hole, there's plenty more material in there. The metal especially will sit on the bottom of the case and not all get flushed into the screen and filter.

I agree it's definitely friction material. But maybe not technically "burned", it can disintegrate for other reasons too.

beav

So am I understanding correctly, that sump strainer probably is full of friction material again and this will restrict flow and cause machine to stop moving and hydraulics to quit working?

Nige

So am I understanding correctly, that sump strainer probably is full of friction material again and this will restrict flow and cause machine to stop moving and hydraulics to quit working?
it won't have the same amount of material as it had the first time, but it may well have collected something. However what Delmer is suggesting is to remove the screen again, then stick your finger in the hole where the screen fits and wipe it around the bottom of the transmission case. Chances are that unless you cleaned out really well when you drained the oil there will still be some residual contmaination left in that location. At least there ought to be enough for you to determine if there is anything magnetic in it. That would direct the diagnosis towards the brakes (see Lantraxco's posts above) with contamination from them affecting the transmission, or to the transmission itself.

So in summary, if there is substantial quantity of magnetic material in the debris, it's likely brake-related. If there isn't, it's likely transmission.

beav

Had John Deere field tech come out to the ranch, he checked transmission oil level, ran machine and checked transmission pressure on gauge on dash. Transmission pressure around 180 psi,after running machine a few minutes the pressure dropped. He drained oil on transmission again and removed transmission oil sump screen again and it had a lot of transmission clutch material on it causing restriction of oil to pump. He advised that the transmission would have to be rebuilt which would cost up to $20,000. Can't afford to have it fixed. Where can I sell it AS IS and get a fair amount for machine? Need advice!!!

Mjrdude1

Iron Planet, Purple Wave, Ritchie Brothers in FT Worth. Should sell well due it running fine for a few minutes.
However, Iron Planet will test the machine and do an in-depth analysis, Purple Wave will want to video it moving.
Maybe Ritchie would be best bet.