• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580SM Hyd Tank Top Plug

Metalman 55

I'm doing some repair work on a battery box/hyd tank on a 580SM & going to replace some rotted plate work for a local guy who owns the machine. We came across this pipe plug at the top of the tank & seeing that Im going to replace the whole plate between the battery & tank, we were wondering what that pipe plug is for, if anyone knows. I'm thinking it's not needed, as all connections are on the back of the tank for suction & return. Whats the verdict on this plug if anyone knows?

Attachments

• 20210804_130913.jpg
    20210804_130913.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
That plug is usually used for auxiliary return, such as for a breaker. I used it to pressurize the hydraulic tank when I changed out the pump or changed oil.

SlatcoAu

I hate that design on these machines. Mine did the same thing. Battery acid ate the side of the hydraulic tank away and the tank started to leak.