• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580ck no start

brl1977

Hey guys, I'm more of a reader here and got all my info to reassemble my 580 after an injector pump rebuild. A little back story, 2 years ago I was working with it in our sugarbush and it died. Thought it was the filters but turned out to be the injector pump. Got it rebuild locally and then I found this site! I've done tons of reading and thought I had this so this past weekend I had some time so out to the case I go. Put the engine at 8 BTDC (pulled #1 injector and put a coat hanger down) got it close. Looked in the inspection hole rotated engine to 8*. Made sure lines lined up on injector pump. I was thinking to myself this may actually run. Opened the fuel valve, opened the bleeder valve on the top filter, blew into the tank to try and pressurize it, cracked the line out of the filter. Got fuel out of the bleeder screw, shut that cracked the line into the pump and fuel was pouring out. Disconnect all the fuel lines to the injectors and cranked the motor till fuel was spitting out of the lines. Kept cranking till the lines looked clear. Feeling good about myself I connected the fuel lines back up and........ nothing!!! Just turned over without even a hint of starting. Rebled the lines to the injectors one at a time (did this a few times) still nothing!! Last ditch effort I gave it a shot of starting fluid, still nothing.. So frustrating!! Any ideas???

brl1977

Does anyone know if thepumpguysc deals with injectors? I'm thinking it must be the injectors??

RDC_580C

Did you send the pump alone to be rebuilt? or the pump and the shaft together? If it was the pump only, did you make sure to reinstall the pump correctly? That is line the dots on the end of the shaft and the one inside the pump so they were together? If they were sent together, the rebuild shop should have done that correctly, but I'd still check it, as it will be 180 degrees out and never start if that's not lined up.

brl1977

Sorry forgot to mention that pump was sent without shaft. Pump was installed dot 2 dot and the lines lined up in the inspection window.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Disconnect the RETURN LINE from the inj. pump & let it flow out & NOT back to the fuel tank, bleed the system AT THE INJECTORS & try again.
Are you saying 2 years ago the pump was rebuilt & hasn't run since??
BTW> yes, injectors are in my wheelhouse also.
I can be reached directly by putting> at aol dot com < after my screen name.

Last edited:

brl1977

I'll give that a try pumpguy! It died 2 years ago, I took the pump out and had it rebuild a year ago and just got around to installing it. I've got 2 boys in travel Hockey, Soccer and Baseball so we are running year round. But I need to make time to get this thing running because its an awesome snow relocator!

RDC_580C

Is it smoking at all while cranking? and when you said you got 'nothing' from it after a shot of starting fluid, do you mean nothing at all? or the normal few pops and sputters that you will always get from a shot of starting fluid? as it's for sure going to ignite in there as long as the rest of the engine is in working order. If it really did nothing at all with a shot of stating fluid, then I'd suspect the cam isn't turning.

brl1977

No real visible smoke. And nothing happened with the starter fluid (no speed up or hint of starting) This is going to sound like I'm an idiot (which I am) but... I was talking with a guy earlier and he asked me about my glow plugs? I said it didn't have glow plugs. His response was so how does it ignite the fuel?? I know there's a manifold heater but what does ignite the fuel??? Sorry about this dumb question but I honestly don't know.

RDC_580C

Like Billrog said it's the compression (since compressed air heats up) that ignites the diesel. Glow plugs aren't necessary, nice, especially in the cold, but they are not required at all and the machine was not made for them.

If yore not seeing any smoke at all and the starting fluid did nothing, then to me it sounds like the engine isn't trying to compress the fuel, or the fuel isn't getting in there. Now, for all 4 injectors to be bad would be almost a miracle, but given you've tried starting fluid, which if it was sprayed into the intake, skips the injectors, and if it got into even one of the cylinders you've have had it sound like it at least wanted to start.

Have someone turn the engine over while you give it a 1 second shot of starting fluid while it's turning over, or vice versa, and see what it does. If you get nothing, then first I'd pull the valve cover off and turn the engine over, see if the rocker arms are moving, cause it's really sounding like they aren't.