• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580C Torque Converter

JD750B

580C TC and Power Shuttle

Moving to the next problem on rehabilitating this backhoe. The unit has no power moving foward. No problem going backward and it will move in 1st gear but not up a hill. I have cleaned the screen and refilled the TC and PS with TCH but that did not make any differece. I have not started checking pressures but I suspect the forward clutch pack is fried. Any other diagnostics I should perform prior to tearing into it to narrow down the problem.
Thanks

Last edited:

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
What did you find in the screen? If you found a bunch of metal/bronze it's likely as you suspect a clutch problem. A lot of aluminum will lean towards a torque converter problem as well. That said with no filter in the system if the oil had a metallic shine to it I'd rebuild powershuttle and install a reman torque converter. Be sure you dial in the torque converter when you reinstall or you'll tear a seal out. Make sure you flush the cooler out too. Clean the spool valve in the shuttle and install new seals.
Heres a site with prices for rebuild kit.
http://www.equipmentpartssource.com/onlinestore/store_shuttle1a.php

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Reverse clutch never wears out on those not too many people pushing dirt in reverse. The kit come with new forward and reverse discs.

JD750B

Thanks for the reply. The screen was actually very clean. No clutch fines at all and no "shinyness" to the fluid like you when clutch linings are smoked. Someone has at least pulled the pan before since they applied an excessive amount of silcone during the install.

I ordered my replacement king pin sets from those guys and I was very pleased.