• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580C hydraulic seal installation

DirtyHoe

I have two identical seal kits(no directions) to redo my stabilizer cylinders. Unfortunately, the glands are different. One has a narrow groove(1/8") for the buffer and the other doesn't. I know where they all go except for two(narrow ones). My old seals were destroyed and not the same as the new ones, so they were no help as a guide.

What is the proper name of the translucent seal and the cream colored seal?
Does my blue U-cup seal go in the groove by itself?
Which one goes in the 1/8" buffer groove?
What does the semicircular slot do and what direction does it go(cream colored)?

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_20161026_181338558_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161026_181338558_HDR.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 151

DirtyHoe

Before and after picture

Here is a picture of what one gland looked like before I pad welded(outside and inside areas) and re-machined it. It was so damaged the wiper seal area was an oval and the backer and o-ring seal groove was also distorted. The other gland was just as bad, but I ran out of time and and bought it new online.
I had to cut the yoke off of the bent cylinder rod and machine a new one and weld it together. I machined the opening of the cylinder because it was distorted too.
I wish I had the money for a newer machine that didn't need so much work...

IMG_20161026_190201976_HDR.jpg

irncwby44

Hi Steve. They way we do them at our shop is the blue one goes in the grove alone (if you try to put the translucent seal in with the blue one you will damage the blue one). Not sure about the technical names for them. The 1/8" grove takes the cream colored one. Also make sure you install the blue one with the lip facing the oil, ie. it needs to block the oil from leaving the gland. I also like to use a little grease to lube the seals. Did you get a dust seal and outside gland seals (O-ring and backup ring?) I grease those as well. I use a grease that has no moly, or additives that will hurt the hyd. system. :usa

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
If the seals are warmed up should make then easier to install. I've been told to put them in hot water to soften them up especially if it cold where your doing it.

DirtyHoe

Thanks for the info.
Do you know what the slot does on the cream colored one? Does the slot have to be in a certain direction?

Steve

DirtyHoe

Any seal gurus out there...
Does anyone know about the direction of the slot(cream colored)? Does it face the pressure or non-pressure side?
After some online reading the two narrow ones are buffer seals. What are the pros and cons of the two different styles?

Steve

Buffer seals.jpg

Last edited: