• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 SM hyd. idiot light

marty2

Hi all,

Just joined and have a question for you 580 SM owners.

A little background.... I'm looking to purchase a 2001 with 1200 hrs on the clock for my personnel use(building my own home). After checking out the machine, which is in excellent condition, the only thing wrong that I could find was the hydraulic filter idiot light was on. The temp was around 40 deg and it has been sitting for a while. The owner said he has changed the filter several times but never the oil. He also commented that it stays on for a while until it warms up.

Question is: is this fairly normal for this model or is it a sign of a bigger issue?

Thanks

RHINOS TRANNYS

The last thing the hydraulic oil flows threw before going back to tank is the filter. The filter is a 10 mikron so cold oil will not flow thew very good. If back pressure gets above 40-45 psi a by-pass valve will open to drop pressure. The light coming on is tell you this is happening. Just let the oil warm up before working the machine hard.

marty2

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. Helps make the decision to buy a little easier.