• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 se boom swing cylinder "wierd leak"

ottawamerc

Hello All

My 580 SE has sprung a leak on my swing cylinder, at first I was @%$#& dissapointed to think I had another hose leak but to my dismay the leak seems to be coming from the top of the cylinder around the pivot pin or its frame? Why would oil be coming from there? I can see cracks in the welds around the frame. I removed the cylinder and tried to use compressed air to locate the leak but I cannot create enough pressure for it to show. I should mention that it would only leak when I stalled out the cylinder at full swing. Any ideas/ comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ottawa

Goose

The leak you have is not very uncommon on the older Case hoes with the trunion mounted swing cylinders. The barrel cracks at the trunion and then it starts leaking. The most common cause is mud getting packed in the swing cylinder area and then when the boom is swung all the way the the side the mud/dirt/rock is sandwiched between the cylinder and the frame and the side force on the pivots crack the barrel at the trunion. You can try welding the saddle and the trunion but the barrel is still going to have a crack and the leak will show up later. Replacing the barrel is about the only good fix.

ottawamerc

Thanks for the news Goose, the cause of the crack is right there was lots of mud in there. So the actual cylinder is cracked right thru?? The oil appears to be in the lower pivot cup also.

Goose

The casting for the trunions is a sleeve that is slipped over the barrel and welded to it to make the cylinder saddle mounted so it pivots in the middle. If it is leaking at the lower trunion then the tube is cracked under the saddle and the trunion is cracked at the saddle and letting the oil leak out of the area its not supposed to be in anyway.

ottawamerc

Could I grind the welds off the saddle then remove the saddle and repair the cylinder?? I realize this would be a sizable job. but could be a lot cheaper I think.

Ottawa

Tinkerer

Ottawa,
Goose is right the only practical way to fix it is replace the barrel or complete cylinder.You could try veeing out the welds on the trunion and welding it , but if you have to weld directly on cylinder barrel the interior bore will be distorted and or flawed. I would guess that will shorten the life of the piston packing / rings. I also had a nearly identical situation with my swing cylinder. These cracked cylinders are a result of crowding material too close to the Backhoe cylinders when digging. It usullay destroys the wiper seals in a very small amount of time.

ottawamerc

So if I need to replace the cylinder, where would be the recommended place to look for one? Is there a place where I could find used parts? I tried E-Bay and my local used forums and there are no listings. I could only assume a new unit at the dealer would cost about the same as the original purchase price of the tractor!

MrKomatsu

Ottawamerc.......

Frontier Trackor Parts Cold Springs Tx...
281-659-5337.....Johnny....tell him Ed@texas heavy equipment sent ya......

jeeperguytj

I second tinkerer, if you tried to weld up the cylinder you'd have to get it machined because it would tear up the piston seals, also I'd say if you tried to weld something over the crack, the piston seals would still not like the crack in the barrel. I'd say replacing it would be your best bet, unless you know a machinist to weld, cut, hone the barrel. Good luck to ya.

Goose

Brokentractor.com has a cylinder assembly for $725.00. Cant tell if it is new or rebuilt.

Tinkerer

Ottawa,
Try FarmlandTractor in Tangent Oregon. They have new, used and rebuilt parts. They have 30 acres of machines. I have purchased from them and I can tell you they are very knowledgeable about Case TLB's. They will return an answer to your emails within a day of getting one from you. Also try e-backhoeparts.com.they also have a pretty good inventory of parts.

ottawamerc

Thanks all for the replys, I tracked one down near me and he wants $875 CDN plus the core! I think I'll try your contacts.

Thanks again
Ottawa

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Try Don Carriere 613-791-2632, he's not far from you at Osgoode and he's wrecking Case hoe's. He can get aftermarket parts too. Fawcett Tractor Supply in St.Marys can get aftermarket parts too. Phil