• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 ck could shuttle pops out

Robduncan

I have a 580ck 1968 backhoe with standard clutch and shuttle **** lever. In forward the shuttle lever pops into neutral. It works fine in reverse and works find in forward so long as I hold the shuttle lever so that it doesn’t pop into neutral. Does anyone have any ideas how I might troubleshoot or fix this. FYI I am new to this site.

Ruffasacob

I was just in my 1967 580 CK. You'll have to pull the shuttle cover to have a look-see.
Mine is the mechanical shuttle. It sounds like it could be worn shaft detents.
In the picture, it's circled in white. You can see a couple of the detents, (grooves).
There's not much on my tractor that hasn't been broken and welded, and under the cover was no exception.
When you pull the shaft out, cover the hole over the shaft in the housing, again the welded part in the circle, because there's a ball under that hole with a spring behind the ball. If you pull the shaft out fast the ball may go flying.
Check the shaft for wear.
I couldn't get my shuttle cover back on and get the forks down over the gearing.
I had to remove the gas tank and loosen the steering tower and pull it forward so I could drop the cover straight down into place. It was actually a good thing because my gas tank was so filled with rust and scale I don't know how it was running.
If anyone knows a way to get the cover back on easily please let me know.
Hope this helps you.

IMG_3312.jpg2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3312.jpg2.jpg
    IMG_3312.jpg2.jpg
    739.2 KB · Views: 4

Robduncan

It is a mechanical shuttle. I don’t need a lot of pressure to hold it in forward. Typically a bungee cord is sufficient. Thank you for the picture. I will pull that cover off and take a look at it tomorrow.