• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

555e Hub Seal

cosmaar1

Anyone ever change a hub seal on a 555e? Both of mine seem to be in bad shape as they leak oil down the backside of the front tire. It’s not terribly bad, but enough that I need to fix it soon.

I’ve looked over the manual and it seems to be straight forward, but wondered if anyone had any tips?

I also just realized the hubs take hydraulic oil for some reason. I’ve been putting gear oil in there. Whoops.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
No but mine started leaking today so if you go first let me know how it goes.

cosmaar1

No but mine started leaking today so if you go first let me know how it goes.

That sucks. Unless it starts pouring out I’m probably not replacing it until after August when the pond is done. I need the machine as much as possible between now and then.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Looks like the hub seal can be replaced without removing the kingpins at least. Not so for the axle seal.

My right upper kingpin has slop in it but I removed the bolts and beat the snot out of it and couldn't get it to budge. Probably gonna take a blue tip wrench to get it out. I love the manual description for removing the upper and lower swivel pins. Shows the guy pulling them out by finger tip.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Item #8
upload_2022-6-25_7-24-50.png

Item #9
upload_2022-6-25_7-20-43.png

Item number 8 is the seal
upload_2022-6-25_7-22-10.png

cosmaar1

Looks like the hub seal can be replaced without removing the kingpins at least. Not so for the axle seal.

My right upper kingpin has slop in it but I removed the bolts and beat the snot out of it and couldn't get it to budge. Probably gonna take a blue tip wrench to get it out. I love the manual description for removing the upper and lower swivel pins. Shows the guy pulling them out by finger tip.

I’m fairly certain just the hub seal is leaking, but I really hope it’s not from the axle side. I haven’t looked that close but probably should.

thanks for the confirmation. I also thought it would be #8

cosmaar1

So after looking at the machine today I think I have one of each leaking. One side is a hub seal, the other an axle seal.

Stupid question here….. how is the axle fed oil? I searched all over and didn’t notice a port or plug anywhere. I didn’t have a flashlight bright enough to see way under. Thoughts?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
When you fill the front axle housing, lube is splashed around when in operation.upload_2022-6-26_14-23-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-6-26_14-23-33.png
    upload_2022-6-26_14-23-33.png
    294.3 KB · Views: 2

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
My hub stopped leaking and the oil level is okay. I was working in some vines and weeds so I'm thinking I just had a vine wrap up in it.

cosmaar1

My hub stopped leaking and the oil level is okay. I was working in some vines and weeds so I'm thinking I just had a vine wrap up in it.
Mine goes through those phases too. It will leak and leak but then it randomly stops. Probably because mine is always buried in mud :D

cosmaar1

Hey NH, did you ever replace your hub seal? My passenger side is leaking again and I'm thinking now is the time to change it, considering its sitting in my driveway at the moment.

1998 555E

I just did my axle housing axle seals and bushings. Hub seals, hub axle bushings, and hub axle seal. It was not that bad. Do you have a manual? If not I can upload pictures. The manual runs you through the process. The large hub seal that is like $80 was the easiest to get out. Once you get it apart you can easily get at the backside with a chisel. The other seals came out with the Harbor Freight slide hammer. The bushings in the hub came out with the right size seal/bearing driver tool. The bushing in the axle was hard. I had to grind down a screwdriver as sharp as a knife to get behind it. The bushings are split. Once you get the edges to overlap and the pressure is relieved you can get it with the slide hammer. My big issue at this point is how to set the wheel bearing preload. I started another thread about that. You will also have to set the preload after replacing the seal.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Hey NH, did you ever replace your hub seal? My passenger side is leaking again and I'm thinking now is the time to change it, considering its sitting in my driveway at the moment.
Mine never started back leaking so no.

1998 555E

After you take your lug nuts off, there are two 5mm Allen head bolts that hold the planetary cover on. This is what the cover looks like off the machine. There is an o ring seal.
20240409_174913.jpg

1998 555E

This is the hub side. The six bolts are what sets the preload on the wheel bearings. You remove the six bolts and use two of them in the empty holes. It acts like a gear puller and the ring gear and outer bearing / race comes apart. 20240409_174920.jpg

1998 555E

There is a snap ring not shown in the pic and these two behind it. These should come out first, my posts are out of order.
20240409_181138.jpg