• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4cx

delly

I have searched and searched for info on the JCB 4cx hoes and was wondering if any one knows if there good or not. I have a couple 580 superm's I do alot of loading trucks.

Plebeian

Is that loading trucks with the front bucket or the spade on the backhoe or both?
I have seen 4cx with many hours on them. JCB has been making them for many years so there are many different models with different parts.
Like most machinery they need a good maintenance program and a reliable careful operator.

The main feature some operators do not like is the larger front tyres of the 4cx, they usually revert to the 3cx when upgrading(The 3cx equipped with the smaller front tyres -but as wide as conditions permit and dual rear wheels if silage stacking.

I guess you know backhoes are a compromise and that pivot steer wheel loaders can be better loaders and excavators can be better at digging.
What other backhoes have you looked at? Volvo etc

Last edited:

Grasshopper

The 4cx is a good machine it's 4x4x4. Meaning 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steer and 3 different steering positions just like the zoom boom. I work on the JCBs and other makes. The power train is solid. Make sure if you get a jcb it power shift and not synchro.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
My company has two of the 4CX14's and they are BEASTS in lifting and pushing capacities, but I haven't done any loading of dump trucks with them, only equipment on and off of trailers. Ours are only a year old but no problems yet and they have been run by some real yahoos. The different steer modes are great for getting around and maneuvering tight areas, I pushed snow banks back at our main office this winter and the 4 wheel steer made maneuvering around cars, trucks, and other things in the lot a breeze.

gpap123

Occupation
Civil Engineer - Contructor
Hello there,
I am thinking of buying a used 4cx model around 2000. Does anyone have any suggestion or opinion to a used 4cx, comparing it to newer models or smaller like 3cx or any other brand? Anyway, every information or opinion would be appreciated!
Thanks! *