• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

490E stuck in rabbit

Knivens894

Gentlemen; I have a JD 490E that has decided to act up. The buttons to change the propel speed suddenly stopped working. It is stuck on the rabbit speed, which makes it difficult to climb grades without assistance from the stick. In addition the auto idle function has stopped working except when the manual pilot shut off is used. If anyone has had this issue before, I would sincerely appreciate any clues as to where to start to get this fault corrected.

Knivens894

Please let me know which switch you are referring to? If you mean the auto idle switch, yes it is working. We checked the fuse and found it OK. I have been reading the operation and test manual which says the auto idle not functioning is an electrical issue with the system. I have printed out the test procedures for the propel pressure switch and harness as well as the propel speed pilot control pilot and harness. We will give those a go tomorrow. The switch for propel speed lights but does not change speeds for the propel function.

Knivens894

The rabbit/turtle switch is working correctly. It will go up or down on command, lighting the various lights, but it does not actually change the speeds. Today we tested the propel pressure switches, both were open as they should be. The harness checked good at 5.1 V each. The propel speed control solenoid checks good. The output of the computer for propel checks good. Any ideas as to where the problem might be would be appreciated. It was working correctly until it quit.