• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

444C Transmission Issues

BenH

I have the transmission out of my 444C because of slow response and whine/whistle. I thought it might be the strainer in the transmission, but it wasn't plugged at all. I've done all the filters, topped off fluid with John Deere Hygard, still slow response and will hardly climb a hill.

We tore the torque converter apart and the torque converter drive cover had no seal between the two halves. Is anyone familiar with these transmissions? We've talked with John Deere, and got the 1600 page tech manual, and can't find any info on whether there's supposed to be a seal or o-ring. It looks like the fluid would just leak right out and cause the problem I"m having, but I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

The transmission charge pump looks good (we tore it apart too), and we were getting decent pressure according to the dash gauge.

Any ideas?

deereresurrector

Occupation
technician
Hey there. you will need at least 170 psi coming out of trans/charge . It would have been good to tap into pressure port around that general area. Charge pump flow at 175 degree f. This is operating temp. Bare minimum 7 gpm . If actual pressure drops 35 psi below spec it will starve out and whine. So no scaring on side wall or gear faces . Something there is getting weak. Check these items out and tell me about what you find.