• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

40XT or 60XT?

jacobd

Shopping for a wheeled skid steer. Have my heart set on a Case XT series either 40 or 60. Mostly want to use it for property maintenance. Things like brush mowing/clean up, gravel driveway repair, light grading and general junk moving. Also hoping to do jobs on the side with it so whatever I get I need to be able to tow around.
I'm on the fence about which machine I should go after.
40XT-5800lb machine with 1500lb operating load.
60xt-6500lb machine with 1800lb operating load.

My dilemma of course is do i go with the bigger machine and enjoy doing the job but hate getting there or the smaller machine and vice versa?
There's also the issue of the 40XT wheel motors which makes me lean toward the 60 but I'm just not sure. What say you? Is there even that big a difference between them?

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
If the cost is close to the same. I would get the 60. I like having more power.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The 60 is a better machine all the way around.

Jay_Bobcat

60 is the replacement for the 1845, most people would agree that unless size and space is an issue 1845 or bigger is the way to go.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
There's also the issue of the 40XT wheel motors which makes me lean toward the 60 but I'm just not sure.

Wheel motor issues were for all xt series. As long as the chain case is not overfull your probably ok. We did lots of them under warranty.

+1 for the 60xt :)