• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

385 monster

345cl

Occupation
excavator operator in the sewer bussiness

Attachments

• beelen02.jpg
    beelen02.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,872
  • beelen03.jpg
    beelen03.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,848
  • beelen04.jpg
    beelen04.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,834
  • beelen05.jpg
    beelen05.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,808
Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Wow, thanks for the pics 345cl. :thumbsup

On the fence in the last picture there is a web address that lets you view a live webcam of it doing its work. I thinks its sleeping right now though. :yup

Last edited:

Cat-385BL

WOW thats some machine!!! I do however got a question (I'm mildly interested in the heavy machinery, especially the Excavators.) I'm a Diecast model collector, Norscot, and Joal so.....

However a new member, I can't make a thread just yet, however, tho, I do have a question...... Made by Cat, the B and the C model of any number Excavator, whats the difference between the 2 of them? For instance, the 385B and the 385C whats the difference, and or whats the 2 letters stand for?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
WOW thats some machine!!! I do however got a question (I'm mildly interested in the heavy machinery, especially the Excavators.) I'm a Diecast model collector, Norscot, and Joal so.....

However a new member, I can't make a thread just yet, however, tho, I do have a question...... Made by Cat, the B and the C model of any number Excavator, whats the difference between the 2 of them? For instance, the 385B and the 385C whats the difference, and or whats the 2 letters stand for?

B vs. C vs. D are series in the world of Cat excavators. Between teh b and c you have a newer engine and a countless other improvements in the cab, controls glass, etc. you get the idea... kind of like the difference between a Chevy S10 and a Chevy Colorado... same truck, just newer.:usa

Model wise, norscot makes one in 1:64 scale (booo, should be 1:50 IMO:rolleyes:)

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A "C" model is the newer of the two machines and features an emissionized engine, new electronics package, some changes in basic layout and lots of changes to the hydraulic system. On the whole a "C" model is smoother to operate, more reliable in the electronics and hydraulics and less expensive to operate overall.

The "D" model now out has about the same number of changes on the "C" as was done on the "B". I haven't seen many "D models" yet so I can't make any statements as to reliability. They are very smooth and easy to operate though. The electronics package uses the same type of coding system for maintenance and repair but is much more comprehensive.

Technology marches on so the letters will get higher as time goes by.

Cat-385BL

B vs. C vs. D are series in the world of Cat excavators. Between teh b and c you have a newer engine and a countless other improvements in the cab, controls glass, etc. you get the idea... kind of like the difference between a Chevy S10 and a Chevy Colorado... same truck, just newer.:usa

Model wise, norscot makes one in 1:64 scale (booo, should be 1:50 IMO:rolleyes:)

Jim,
I actually thought the B and C destinations were for the type Cat diesel installed into the machine! BUT, what you said makes sence, (I was merely taking a wild guess at it on what it truely ment as form in the machine itself. I appreciate all the respoces to help me understand alot better! THANKS!

As for Norscot and the model of the Cat 385BL I've got one, hence my screen name. However, they have reoffered the newest C model of the 385, with metyal tracks so........At a much higher price then what I paid for my 385B model.

Also, what does the "L" stand for in the mix of things as well?

Cat-385BL

A "C" model is the newer of the two machines and features an emissionized engine, new electronics package, some changes in basic layout and lots of changes to the hydraulic system. On the whole a "C" model is smoother to operate, more reliable in the electronics and hydraulics and less expensive to operate overall.

The "D" model now out has about the same number of changes on the "C" as was done on the "B". I haven't seen many "D models" yet so I can't make any statements as to reliability. They are very smooth and easy to operate though. The electronics package uses the same type of coding system for maintenance and repair but is much more comprehensive.

Technology marches on so the letters will get higher as time goes by.

John,
Thanks. I appreciate the concerns of my questions. Please read my above posting to Jim, as theres few of other questions in it.

Again, THANKS!

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Also, what does the "L" stand for in the mix of things as well?

Some other designations:

L or LC = Long Undercarriage
ME = Mass Excavator
LRD = Long-Reach Demolition
UHD = Ultra-High Demolition

And we expect pics of the models...:rolleyes: Just post 'em down in the Models & Miniatures section.

Cat-385BL

Some other designations:

L or LC = Long Undercarriage
ME = Mass Excavator
LRD = Long-Reach Demolition
UHD = Ultra-High Demolition

And we expect pics of the models...:rolleyes: Just post 'em down in the Models & Miniatures section.

Stretch,
Thanks for the added destinations, I'm sure over time, I would have asked on the others as well.

Once I get the 385BL model done, in 1/64th scale, I'll be sure to get some pictures of it online for everyone to see. (I want to make some other "tools" for it), without the quick coupler part on it so, will have to be done by removing the bolts I put in place of the rivets on the stick.

Now, I just need to figure out how I can get a metal track replacement for those ugly rubber things that stand in for "tracks" :D

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Your welcome Cat-385bL.

I have the new 385c with metal tracks, it's nice looking, but I would still prefer it were in 1/50 scale.