• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

360 Volvo - Window Exploded

esobofh

Occupation
Senior Business Analyst
My father was out operating a 360 Volvo yesterday, clear day just moving some sand around. As he has done most days when it's warm and clear, he pushed the front window up overhead to have an unobstructed view of the work area.

After a few minutes of working the window just exploded and rained down shards of glass that cut him in multile places.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this might have happened?

He was doing easy work.. not straining the machine, and the house was sitting level.

The window/frame was not sticking or sitting off-square in the frame. It lifted up and latched into place with no issue.

Bizarre... anyone else have that happen?

curbside

Flaw in the glass or sometimes when the weather stripping is put on a small rock or nail gets imbedded between the stripping and glass. A small jar is enough to shatter the glass. We had one of our bobcat trackloaders with less then 2 hours on it had a front window explode. They found a small nail imbedded in the weather stripping which I guess was enough to shatter the glass.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I had that happen to the glass door in my wood stove. Shot hot glass shards all over the living room. Brand new carpet melted. New Stove. Course the stove manufacturer gave me the standard 'never happened before' crap.

Weird.

Saw it happen in a parked car one time too.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I had a very similar thing happen on a Poclain 75 many years ago. Frightened the ruddy life out of me and was extracting glass from my underwear for hours :eek:
Turned out the frame was not strong enough to withstand contact with .................the side cutter on the digging bucket :badidea