• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

350b->550g?

Fordman

So I took the whole dozer back down to the dealer today, and look at their used for sale lot. It had one case 550G dozer and it looked in average shape. undercarriage wasnt the best, but I think its two more tons and two more cylinders. I know this 350B is going to take some negotiating, and I pondered the idea of getting a bigger machine. I can tow the 350B with existing truck and trailer, but dont think so with the 550G. It was a long track too. Would that be a worthwhile upgrade? My 350B has a new undercarriage, motor, and hopefully right rear-end.(about 5500 hours). We have a 1845C and 580. They seem to have the same pushing power as the 350B. I will post a pic of my machine, and the 550G on Monday. Any thoughts or things to watch out for on the 550G? Thanks

Fordman

we had a 1845 skidsteer with a bad chain drive once, and they told took it as is on a trade for the 1845C. So I was thinking of possibly trading up with all this.

Welder Dave

I think the 550G would be a big improvement in pushing power over a 350B but then it may need undercarriage or other work to make it a good dependable machine. If you need a bigger truck and/or trailer could be a problem too. In a lot circumstances a skid steer would do circles around a 350. If it's soft or muddy the 350 would be much better. I believe the 550 is about 50% heavier than a 350.

Fordman

20150404_144005.jpg20150119_125218.jpg
The first one is before I got the decals on.
the salesman said they are trying to sell the 550G for a customer.
So, I doubt they would take a trade. Asking 30 but would take good offer.
I thought it was alot older from the road. 97 with 3600 hours. However, I dont
see the need to throw out that much coin.

Dickjr.

That's a nice looking 550G. I spent a little time on my uncles 550. Those things are as solid as they come. I can't see 30 grand for it. Low to mid 20s maybe. That is low hour. The way I reference what something is worth , go to machinerytrader and look up that model , look at asking prices. Then look at auction prices and what it went for. This is just my way , maybe not the right way. You can haul it on a ton dual with a heavy trailer. Anything any bigger needs a road tractor in my opinion.