• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

349E Regen

Nick8300

I have put 6000 hours on my machine and had nothing but trouble with the regen. Yesterday I had to start it by pushing the button at 80% and wait 40mins till it got down to zero. Then it got up again but wouldnt let me start it myself. By the time I got it walked to the road were cat could look at it it was at 117% and when they got there it wouldnt start last night. I went out this morning and it started but said regen lockout, They are comming back today to look at it. Was just wondering what you guys thought? Nothing is worse than looking at the off road trucks sitting there looking at me and I cant load them because of somthing like that.

lantraxco

I sympathize, that's all I can offer. Tier 3 isn't too awful, in my opinion anything newer is a disaster happening. Best case they're expensive and annoying, worst case a never ending nightmare. It ain't getting better any time soon unless we force the EPA to back off on the stupid pedal and roll back the restrictions.

garyw

Occupation
Plant Engineer
Hitachi's regen system is the best out there, its faultless.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You likely have something wrong in the engine feeding oil into the exhaust system. I believe you should be able to regen while working the machine hard.

big ben

These machines are smart and lots can be seen and done with a laptop.
First off they need to check for codes (failure to ignite)?, then download a regen history so you can tell if it is soot loading or regening more than it should.

History will tell how fast the DPF is loading and if the machine tired to regen or didn't try and the reason. If it is working it should regen on its own as you know.

If it is regening more than it should due to soot loading the DPF then oil samples need to be taken to check for excess soot in the oil. Most likely an air leak in the air to air system.

tekemp

If it locked you out and failed to start its likely due to a failure to ignite when the computer attempted regen. That system has so many parts and information that it uses its almost impossible to diag without ET. I had a 336E with similar symptoms ended up needing the DPF removed and cleaned. Our local dealer has a program to swap them.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
One of our 349's had similar issues last winter. It would only regen in whatever state it started, if it went to low idle, and then rev'ed back up, it would kick out of regen. Ended up, the mechanics told me just to turn off the auto idle. It helped a little, not sure what they eventually did, but the issue isn't there any more. As someone said, there is such a long list of sensors, variables, and systems in those DEF's that it doesnt take much to screw it up.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There are some service articles regarding updating the regen system on a list of engine models that includes those fitted to 349E machines. Without knowing your machine Serial Number it's difficult to give any further advice. The list below are the Serial numbers of 349E that had this update before they left the factory. If your machine Serial Number is LOWER than what is given in the list below and was never updated in the field it may well require this upgrade. As the upgrade is not a factory support program it's unlikely anything out in the field has been upgraded unless the customer specifically asked for it to be done.

DGE00262
TFG00410
MPG00289
KFX00150
KCN00218
S3P00201

PAcattech

Occupation
CAT field service tech (31yrs)
if its got 6000 hrs on it your going to have to replace diesel particulate filter or have it cleaned . they are suppose to be done at 5000hrs

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
if its got 6000 hrs on it your going to have to replace diesel particulate filter or have it cleaned . they are suppose to be done at 5000hrs
A good point, but the impression I got from the OP was that the machine has being giving grief in the Regen cycle since it was new. Surely the dpf would be expected to function correctly when the machine was new..?