• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Self-Jameel

Need help, trying to start this 3406 engine but it kept on cracking quickly as to start buh it's not starting. Even change the transfer and priming pump but to no avail

Self-Jameel

Not so sure about the engine Serial number, buh it's mounted on Cat 16G (93U) Model. thanks in advance brother.

Self-Jameel

No shut off solenoid, it's Motor Grader(Cat 16G)you can only off the machine manually. Using the cable, tho provision has been made for the shut off solenoid but we didn't use it.

Self-Jameel

The first mechanic who got here before me change the complete injector buh didn't time the engine before the removal, the engine was misfiring when I got to the site, on arrival I remove the pump retime it together with the engine and it started with one kick switch, 2 hours into the machine operation it broke down again since then it's cranking with white smoke buh no start

Self-Jameel

I remove the pump completely, timed the engine to TDC and time the injector pump as well. Start it was a go. No huddles till after 2 hours of normal operation

mekanik

My 3406 experience was all on truck engines. I am assuming the equipment engines are the same.
Possibly something could have gone wrong with the timing advance.

Self-Jameel

And the white smoke? Also aw need to know the right procedure on FINDING THE TDC, after I turned the engine and the both rocker arm both are a bit free and 6 rocker arm where both stuffed.went ahead to time the pump saperately.

mekanik

What year is the machine? There should be a 1/4"pipe plug in the flywheel housing, take it out and there will be a 3/8" hole in the flywheel for a timing pin that lines up at top dead centre. There should be a plug in the side of the injection pump for a timing pin as well they should both line up at #1 TDC

chidog

If you don't play nice with the injection system you could have a runaway, so always be prepared for that.

Welder Dave

Have you tried a small shot of starting fluid to see if it will at least fire? I was confused by what you wrote but did the 1st mechanic change the actual injectors or just the injection pump? White smoke means you're getting unburned fuel. Bad injectors could be the cause. It would help to know how the problem came to be. What caused the 1st mechanic to remove the injection pump? Did the engine die suddenly or lose power and then die or all of a sudden wouldn't start, etc.?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Need the engine S/N. They made literally dozens of variations of the 3406.

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is could the injection pump drive gear have slipped?

Self-Jameel

I
Need the engine S/N. They made literally dozens of variations of the 3406.

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is could the injection pump drive gear have slipped?
Honestly I don't have the S/N of the engine but I know it's mounted on 16G Motor Grader (93U Model)
The drive gear is well intact as I checked again this morning.

Self-Jameel

Have you tried a small shot of starting fluid to see if it will at least fire? I was confused by what you wrote but did the 1st mechanic change the actual injectors or just the injection pump? White smoke means you're getting unburned fuel. Bad injectors could be the cause. It would help to know how the problem came to be. What caused the 1st mechanic to remove the injection pump? Did the engine die suddenly or lose power and then die or all of a sudden wouldn't start, etc.?
The Reason behind changing the injection (Main Pump) was that diesel is mixing with oil. On arrival I removed the New pump that was installed retime it together with the engine to TDC everything was working just fine few hours into the machine operation it started misfiring bringing out out smoke and suddenly went off.

Last edited: