• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

333G Seems to have lost pilot control pressure

Dodgeboy06

Good morning. I'm working with a 333G Serial number 1T0333GMCJF325519 with about 2600 hours on it that was (according to the operator) was working just fine and suddenly all functions stopped. I got to the machine, verified proper oil levels and ran thru the diagnostics on the display in the cab to verify inputs were happening from the joysticks and outputs to what I believe is referred to as the port lock solenoid (its on the side of the valve body under the floor of the cab) and it was getting power based on what the in cab display was indicating even though I wasn't hearing that 'clunk' sound when the parking brake release button was hit. I ran to the dealer and got a new solenoid and valve, installed those and was able to get very slow response to the bucket/arm functions and could feel the track motors trying to go but were being stopped by the parking brake. This response was only when I had the engine at high idle nothing seemed to happen when at low idle. I also never hear that 'clunk' when the parking brake release button was hit. I asked the dealer to do a site visit and check pressures and figure out where the failure most likely was going to be, hoping there was a pressure sensor or another solenoid that had failed but understanding there could as easily be a failed pump or drive coupling. They were on site for about 2 hours yesterday and as far as I can tell never even put a pressure gauge on anything. The only suggestion they offered was to try to winch it up onto a trailer as 'it would be easier to work on this in our shop'. Gotta love that desire to figure out what's going on at least. Anyway I am meeting with an independent mechanic that has done work for me in the past who has some insight as to where we need to look but wanted to see if anyone might have had something similar happen or insight as to common failures of this system. Thanks in advance for any help that the group can provide and I update as I know more to help those that come after this.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Is the hydraulic fan turning. Quick way to see if you have any fluid moving at all like possible pump coupler failure.
On the "G", that test will not work for the pump coupler due to the fan/charge pump being mounted to the other end of the engine (timing gear side). So, it will turn any time the engine is running.

If there are no hydraulics and no hydrostats, then the pump coupler would most likely be the issue. If it is just a loss of hydrostats, then check charge pressure and fan operation.

Dodgeboy06

Yes the fan was turning.

We checked charge pressure and found it was around 200 PSI with the spec according to my sources should be 385-495 PSI range. We were unable to adjust the pressure up and so have the machine in the shop now for further diagnostics and repair. I appreciate the input and will keep everyone posted as to final outcome.

Dodgeboy06

To update this. The charge pump was flow tested and found to be within speck, following some further diagnosis the drive motors were bypassed one at a time and found pressure was being lost thru the final drive on the right hand side (If I'm skipping/missing details I apologize as I'm going off memory from what the shop told me) as once that motor was bypassed all charge pressure returned to proper range. Currently waiting on final drive motor to be delivered and installed. Will update further once motor is in and (fingers crossed) machine is returned to service

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Please update us when finished with repair. Have a rubber tired 332G and always looking at others problems, to add to my archives of solutions. Hope it doesn't cost too much.
simon C

Mbar

On the "G", that test will not work for the pump coupler due to the fan/charge pump being mounted to the other end of the engine (timing gear side). So, it will turn any time the engine is running.

If there are no hydraulics and no hydrostats, then the pump coupler would most likely be the issue. If it is just a loss of hydrostats, then check charge pressure and fan operation.
Good to know. Guess that is a fail safe to keep the engine cool

Dodgeboy06

Machine now has about 6 hours or so on it since the right hand side final drive motor was replaced and everything seems to be working properly. Will be changing hydro oil and filters as well as final drive oil after 45 or 50 hours of run time to ensure nothing is left in the system. The shop that did the work had flushed the hydro system as well as replaced the filters (cut the old one open and found minimal debris, nothing of concern). Hopefully this one behind us now and we can move on. Thanks to all who offered insight.