• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3306 injector removal

Queenslander

I have an injector, (8N 7005) leaking on our 12G.
The service manual says to use a puller,(6V3129), and if that fails to do the job, use an adapter and slide hammer.
What is the usual experience when lifting these?

wornout wrench

Hi Queenslander.
I have alway had good success using a slide hammer, but depending on how the exhaust manifold is set up, it can be a bit of a pain getting a straight shot with the slide.
Us loggers usually make up a tool to go on the end of the slide hammer.

If you have an old injector tube, cut one of the injector nuts off, get a small piece of cable that will fit in the nut and attach it somehow. I usually use a washer and braze, silver solder it together. Attach the other end of the cable into what ever kind of a nut fits the end of your slide hammer. The cable only needs to be a few inches long.

You still need to try to be as straight as you can so that you don't try to pull the injector sideways and break it off in the hole. (yes I have done this before. then the head comes off)
Give the injector a good shot of your favorite penetrating fluid first, get some lube down in the hole

Queenslander

Do you think it would be worth trying the other puller?
Dealer has one available, don't know the price yet....... I may have answered my own question.

Jonas302

I have changed them on our 140g without any special tools trying to think how I did without going out to look at it I think I slide a wrench under them to pry up while twisting with a pliers maybe not but they were changed with normal shop tools so I would try that before the Cat puller

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Which ever way you go.. [slide hammer is best] just don't snap it off..
IF your getting remans, [cheap] they'll most likely want your cores..
IF their bent or have teeth marks in them, forget about getting any core charge money back.. [wrap tape around them if using pliers]
Just lookin out for ya..

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
hi Queenslander ,i use a slide hammer welded to an old fuel line nut as the guys above have said. but for some them behind the manifold I have a bolt welded to an old fuel line nut and use a piece of pipe that fits over the injector of a suitable length and pull it out until you can remove it
Mark