• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

320 on a tilt?

580bruce

Do any of you haul a 320,or a 200 class excavator on a tilt? We have 3 axel tilts, and all of the old timers say our older 320 is too heavy? Help:beatsme

Colorado Digger

we haul a link belt 225, and our 210's on a interstate tri axle. the 225 weighs 54,000 lbs and the 210's weigh 48,000 lbs. The 225 is a bit heavy but we get it done. Thew 210's are a piece of cake. All the machines are long and wide. I think you have to be carefull and take your time. A good driver, proper tire pressures and brakes and you are good to go. We just moves a 210 200 miles and it was easy. If you have a low boy, obviously use it. Use what you have.

580bruce

We do have a lowboy,bet there are times it would be handy to use a tilt behind a dumptruck.We have one guy that says it is way too heavy to move our 320 on them.I see a few guys around doing it ,just not sure?

DEERE310SG

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
We do have a lowboy,bet there are times it would be handy to use a tilt behind a dumptruck.We have one guy that says it is way too heavy to move our 320 on them.I see a few guys around doing it ,just not sure?
My friend hauls has Cat 320DL on a 25ton tag trailer behind his dumptruck.:)

ke6gwf

My friend hauls has Cat 320DL on a 25ton tag trailer behind his dumptruck.:)

I am researching how to do this out here in California.
Does anybody have specs on the 10-wheeler used to haul a 320?
Things like wheelbase, type of suspension (rear suspension especially -air/walking beam/spring/etc), truck model, weight rating on the hitch, engine, axle weights when loaded, etc.

I tried loading a 40,000 pound paver on a 2-axle tilt behind a Mack with the beam rear suspension last week, but when I got enough weight on the hitch (~16,000# on a 18,000# tongue weight rated hitch) to get the trailer axles down to 34,000#, it had transfered so much weight off the front axle that the drivers were overloaded, plus I didn't have safe steering. ('twas kinda fun steering with the throttle!):D
I am pretty sure that with a different rear suspension I could have done it, since the pivot point on the walking beam is between the drivers, it has about 5 feet of leverage to the hitch.
With a 3-axle trailer I can get 42,500# on the trailer axles which will put my weight ratios about the same with the 320 as it is with the Blaw-Knox 5510 paver and the 2 axle. That means that my tongue weight will need to be about the same. (somewhere between 8,000 and 16,000#, depending on trailer weight and actual weight of 320)

Since I am sick and tired of our under-powered and under spec-ed Mack dump, and the tilt we currently have is not the right trailer for our needs, I already have the owner convinced we need to upgrade, but I need info on what truck we would need for towing the 320 so we don't have to hire Double M, Renn or Murray for hauling it around once in a great while. (sorry guys!)

Pictures would be great.

Thanks
Ben~

prenn1984@gmail

I am researching how to do this out here in California.
Does anybody have specs on the 10-wheeler used to haul a 320?
Things like wheelbase, type of suspension (rear suspension especially -air/walking beam/spring/etc), truck model, weight rating on the hitch, engine, axle weights when loaded, etc.

I tried loading a 40,000 pound paver on a 2-axle tilt behind a Mack with the beam rear suspension last week, but when I got enough weight on the hitch (~16,000# on a 18,000# tongue weight rated hitch) to get the trailer axles down to 34,000#, it had transfered so much weight off the front axle that the drivers were overloaded, plus I didn't have safe steering. ('twas kinda fun steering with the throttle!):D
I am pretty sure that with a different rear suspension I could have done it, since the pivot point on the walking beam is between the drivers, it has about 5 feet of leverage to the hitch.
With a 3-axle trailer I can get 42,500# on the trailer axles which will put my weight ratios about the same with the 320 as it is with the Blaw-Knox 5510 paver and the 2 axle. That means that my tongue weight will need to be about the same. (somewhere between 8,000 and 16,000#, depending on trailer weight and actual weight of 320)

Since I am sick and tired of our under-powered and under spec-ed Mack dump, and the tilt we currently have is not the right trailer for our needs, I already have the owner convinced we need to upgrade, but I need info on what truck we would need for towing the 320 so we don't have to hire Double M, Renn or Murray for hauling it around once in a great while. (sorry guys!)

Pictures would be great.

Thanks
Ben~

haha no worries! But unfortunately theres no way you can get a 320 legal behind a 10wheeler in california.

ke6gwf

Heavy Haul 101

haha no worries! But unfortunately theres no way you can get a 320 legal behind a 10wheeler in california.

I am in no position to question your knowledge or experience, considering you have more experience at hauling big iron in the last 20 minutes than I have in my life...
But that's never stopped me from asking questions so I understand the why's! :Banghead

The facts as I think I know them:
320 = ~37,500
3-axle Trailmax Pintle = ~12,500#
-----------------
Loaded trailer = 50,000#
-
Tridem with 9' spread legal CA weight capacity = 42,500#
-----------------
~7,500# tongue weight.

I know on my Mack, the hitch is rated for 18,000# tongue weight, although with the walking beam pivot so far forward, the 16K I had on it the other day removes too much weight from the steer axle for legal and safe operation.
I believe I should be able to safely handle 8-10K on the Mack though, and with a better rear suspension (and a bigger motor!), it should be able to handle more.

The main unknown factor for me is whether I could get the 320 far enough forward on the trailer to get the balance needed. I am guessing that with the counterbalance and engine on the back, that shouldn't be a problem.
(When I was trying to balance the 40k# paver on the 2-axle trailer, I had the front edge of the hopper against the trailer jack, and the tracks against the headboard, and was still at 34,120# on the trailer axles, but the paver has all it's weight at the back of the trailer so I doubt I would have the same problem with the 320)

Is it too tall? The boom stick out too far? Am I under on the weight of the 320?

You say it can't be done behind a 10-wheeler, could it be done if the 10-wheeler had an air-lift 4th axle?

What CA law am I missing, or did I just screw up my math? (never happend before, but there could be a first... :bash )

I look forward to my next lesson!

Ben~

prenn1984@gmail

I am in no position to question your knowledge or experience, considering you have more experience at hauling big iron in the last 20 minutes than I have in my life...
But that's never stopped me from asking questions so I understand the why's! :Banghead

The facts as I think I know them:
320 = ~37,500
3-axle Trailmax Pintle = ~12,500#
-----------------
Loaded trailer = 50,000#
-
Tridem with 9' spread legal CA weight capacity = 42,500#
-----------------
~7,500# tongue weight.

I know on my Mack, the hitch is rated for 18,000# tongue weight, although with the walking beam pivot so far forward, the 16K I had on it the other day removes too much weight from the steer axle for legal and safe operation.
I believe I should be able to safely handle 8-10K on the Mack though, and with a better rear suspension (and a bigger motor!), it should be able to handle more.

The main unknown factor for me is whether I could get the 320 far enough forward on the trailer to get the balance needed. I am guessing that with the counterbalance and engine on the back, that shouldn't be a problem.
(When I was trying to balance the 40k# paver on the 2-axle trailer, I had the front edge of the hopper against the trailer jack, and the tracks against the headboard, and was still at 34,120# on the trailer axles, but the paver has all it's weight at the back of the trailer so I doubt I would have the same problem with the 320)

Is it too tall? The boom stick out too far? Am I under on the weight of the 320?

You say it can't be done behind a 10-wheeler, could it be done if the 10-wheeler had an air-lift 4th axle?

What CA law am I missing, or did I just screw up my math? (never happend before, but there could be a first... :bash )

I look forward to my next lesson!

Ben~
Your math seems correct to me. except 320's usually weigh between 43-53k(what model 320 is your companies?), I think you would have to be so far forward to not overload the trailer, you will have too much tongue weight. an airlift 4th axle won't help you out in CA. We can't get a 320 legal on our tandem trailmax 5th wheel tilt. But prove me wrong! I want to see you get it legal, that would be awesome:cool:

Attachments

• DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
We've hauled a 320CL on our 3 axle pintle Trailmax behind our Kenworth Dump, put the tag axle down I know we got a over width permit can't remember if we got a over weight one too or not.

ke6gwf

Your math seems correct to me. except 320's usually weigh between 43-53k(what model 320 is your companies?), I think you would have to be so far forward to not overload the trailer, you will have too much tongue weight. an airlift 4th axle won't help you out in CA. We can't get a 320 legal on our tandem trailmax 5th wheel tilt. But prove me wrong! I want to see you get it legal, that would be awesome:cool:

If anybody saw a Mack 10-wheeler driving in the bay area this morning with the wimpy-horn beeping for no obvious reason, it was me banging my head on the steering wheel after I realized I had made a minor error...

320 = ~47,500#... Oops!

It doesn't look as good, but with the right rear suspension to get the leverage right, 18,000# tongue weight might be doable legally.
That was why I was quizzing those that had done it, to find out if it could be done, and with what equipment. :)

@DiamondLTruckin:
In California we can't get an over-weight permit for a tag (pintle) trailer, I even tried talking them into one for our paver on the tandem because we often go into places that lowboys don't fit. They said the VC didn't allow it period.
However, can you get me specs on your KW? I am curious as to WB and rear suspension type.
If we get a Tridem trailmax, you can bet I am gonna throw the 320 on it and run to the Syar quarry just up the road and take over a scale for a while! :)

To fill in what brought this all up, for years the company I am now driver for has been hauling a Blaw-Know 5510 paver (38,000#) on the tandem tilt. They had d-rings welded at the point it was balanced well, and they had a Green Weight annual permit...
I just started here last fall, and was asked to haul the paver for the first time a couple of weeks ago. (I am the only driver, but they just hadn't had work for it recently) I load it on the trailer, and can tell from the feel of the trailer and the look of the tires it is overweight. Then I noticed that the permit only applies to semi's, (they had never noticed this I guess) and so we don't have a valid Wide load permit for the 10-wheeler and the 11.5 foot wide load. It is a near-by job and slow level roads, so I make sure I have the Owner Responsibility card with me, and that the owner is following me and take it to the job. On the way back, I swing by a scale, and discover they have been running 42,670# on the trailer tandems for years. The sidewall rating of the tires is just over 40,000...

That is what got me started looking at triples and then the possibility of the 320 as well. And I just took the Cozad and KW (and a D6N with 1504 hours on it) to Ritchie Bros. Auction, and they sold last week. So now we can't haul the paver at all!. I had to break the news to the owner too... :Banghead

I am already in trouble for putting way too many chains on stuff, and now this!

I need to get my camera downloaded, I got a bunch of interesting pictures I have been getting recently, including of the RB auction yard. There was a nice row of Murray low-boys there (as well as a not-so-nice row of Cozads! ;).
I got boring machines, I got recent video of a crane trying to tip over, I got to get almost underneath the giant barge crane they are using on the new Bay Bridge as they were unloading the deck modules from the fast boat from China (and have the video to prove it!), and a few loads I have hauled for you out-of-staters to laugh at how many chains I use...

One of these days...
Ben~

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
07 KW T800, 14.6K front, 12k tag, 46k Chalmers rears 475 CAT with 18 speed Roadranger and a Sturdyweld dump box It's a sweet set up with our 3 axle Trailmax. I think you can get a little bit heavier legally if you get your trailer with 22.5 wheels instead of 17.5's

DK_stihl

We haul a Case 9020 on a tag trailer. That might be smaller than a 320 though.