• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3/4 air impact gun

hetkind

I am shopping for a new 3/4" air impact gun, probably around the $500 mark. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best bang for the buck? I favor Chicago Pneumatics and IR.

The Aircat seems to have great numbers at a great price, but I have to wonder if it is a throwaway.

http://www.tooltopia.com/aircat-1600th.aspx

I have a local tool guy who can rebuild the CP and IR since parts are available. Should I pay double the price for rebuildability?

Howard

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
IR2161XP is my 3/4 air impact. I also drilled out the inlet port to take 1/2 inch air right through without restriction.
Awesome tool. Maybe work looking on eBay for a cheaper unit and then having it rebuilt?

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
I have an AirCat 1200???, 1/2" drive. Has been a great tool. Used and abused for several years without a drier in the air supply, just an occasional shot of oil. Took it apart a few nights ago and found no wear in the motor. Lots of torque. I intend to buy another one soon, one for shop and one for service truck.

gtermini

I grabbed a fresh rebuilt IR 2145 off ebay for around $100, but new ones can be had for right at $400. It hits pretty damn hard for a 3/4 gun and light as well like the others have said. I'll buy another.

Greyson

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE

Tractorguy

I carry an ingersoll and snap on on my truck and there's number of times I tried the ingersoll first due to conditions and it wasn't as strong as the snap on. Snap on also has a sealed cavity and no grease fittings which I was wary from the beginning but it's held up great so far.

hetkind

I have a snap on 1/2 drive that is obsolete due to parts supply, and the trucks don't call on me, they are tired of seeing my broken snap on tool bin!

Twisted

I have the 3/4" Aircat and it works well. It's not an everyday use tool for me so I have no idea on longevity. So far it has taken out everything I have hooked it to while working on semis and heavy equipment without effort. I also have the 1/2" Nitrocat I think. Powerful and light. Not as powerful as some I've used but very close. Good ergonomics.

maddog

I have one from......HF, I believe it's called the earth quake, I know bad bad bad. BUT I have truly run this thing through the course{over 10yrs** and it has been great, I would put it up against any other 3/4" impact out there. At the time I believe it was around $80.00, it has paid me back many many times over, well worth it. I've used it on everything from cars, dump truck, small dozer, excavator, and so on, never let me down. It's not as strong as my 1'' impact but then again I never expected it to be.

oarwhat

I have one from......HF, I believe it's called the earth quake, I know bad bad bad. BUT I have truly run this thing through the course{over 10yrs** and it has been great, I would put it up against any other 3/4" impact out there. At the time I believe it was around $80.00, it has paid me back many many times over, well worth it. I've used it on everything from cars, dump truck, small dozer, excavator, and so on, never let me down. It's not as strong as my 1'' impact but then again I never expected it to be.

I'll second the HF earthquake guns. I know allot of there stuff is junk but these guns are strong. I only use them for tough jobs as they are on the heavy side.

mitch504

Buying tools from Harbor Fakes is like sleeping with an ugly girl; it might really be the only way you can afford to get what you want, and work out great, but, you're really gonna hear about it when your friends find out!

Seriously, some of their stuff is real good, and some is scrap before it gets out the store. All of their air tools I have tried have been good, and their small engines are better than everything but a Honda, and if you get the right coupon, you can get a 6.5 hp for $79.99!

catfixer

I wish Ingersoll still made the 2141. I got mine used from an older tech and love that thing to death. If you can find one used they are the strongest 3/4 i've used and parts are still available for.