• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

226 cat skid steer

Ron1968

Hello I Have a 226 cat skid steer Same problem as others but I just joined. The machine was sitting there idling & it just stalled .you keep the ignition to the start position & it keeps running you let go of it & it stalls the fuel shut off valve has no power going to the white wire which is supposed to be live with the key on in the run position There are 6 relays in the engine compartment & I switched out all of them they are fine I checked the fuses they are fine the key switch seems ok Did I not replace the right relay is it located elsewhere any Ideas Thanks in advance Ron I guess I could use a wiring schematic?

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
hi, here is an electrical schematic
the run circuit of the stop solenoid is fused ,have you checked it .also some models have a charge pressure switch in the same run circuit, if it is fitted could be faulty ,low on charge pressure ,or faulty wiring
Mark

Attachments

• RENR2863RENR2863-03_SIS.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 155

Ron1968

hi, here is an electrical schematic
the run circuit of the stop solenoid is fused ,have you checked it .also some models have a charge pressure switch in the same run circuit, if it is fitted could be faulty ,low on charge pressure ,or faulty wiring
Mark

Ron1968

Thanks Mark For The Wiring Schematic. Its Going to take Me some time to figure it out as it is my personal machine. As soon as I fix it I will let you know. Once again I Really appreciate the time you have taken to help me. Ron

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
The fuel shutoff solenoid in the pump has a hot wire and another hot wire that is only hot when the key is in the start position. Ive had the same thing happen, fuel solenoid on pump.

http://www.fostertruck.com/industrial.html Guy knows his stuff

Ron1968

The fuel shutoff solenoid in the pump has a hot wire and another hot wire that is only hot when the key is in the start position. Ive had the same thing happen, fuel solenoid on pump.

http://www.fostertruck.com/industrial.html Guy knows his stuff
Thanks So Much That Wire You Are Talking About Is Not Live When the key is in the on position that is the problem. A member sent me a wiring schematic I Just need to chase the wire (No time) Thanks in advance Ron

Ron1968

Just to let every one know it ended up being the fuel shutdown solenoid I bench tested it it worked fine But I think it was drawing to many Amps, Volts? It ended up burning out replaced its fine

Kris Morey

I have a 2002 cat 226, the parking light is currently flashing so I was looking for wiring diagrams. Thank you Mark250.

Mark250

Occupation
check out post # 3 above and there is a electrical schematic. if not the right one post your serial number and I will see what I can do
interloc flow chart.png
Troubleshooting
216, 226, 228, 232, 236, 242, 246, 248, 252 and 262 Skid Steer Loaders and 247, 257, 267, 277 and 287 Multi Terrain Loaders Interlock Electronic Control System
Media Number -RENR2864-05
Publication Date -01/04/2003 Date Updated -13/04/2003

i01504276
Parking Brake Indicator Is Flashing
SMCS - 7630-038-IND

Test Step 1. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR BEFORE THE SYSTEM IS ENABLED
    • Occupy the seat.
    • Place the armrest in the DOWN position.
    • Turn the key start switch to the ON position.
Expected Result:
The parking brake indicator should be on.
Results:
    • OK - The parking brake indicator is on. Proceed to Test Step 4.
    • NOT OK - The parking brake indicator is flashing. Proceed to Test Step 2.
    • NOT OK - The parking brake indicator is off.
      Repair: The parking brake indicator is not working properly. See Testing and Adjusting, "Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Do Not Funtion Correctly".
      Stop.
Test Step 2. CHECK THE CIRCUIT FOR THE PARKING BRAKE SWITCH FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
    • Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.
    • Raise the cab. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cab Tilting".
    • Locate the Interlock ECM. The interlock ECM is located on the back side of the cab. The cab must be in the RAISED position in order to get to the ECM.
    • Disconnect the wire harness from the ECM.
    • Measure the resistance from contact 42 to contact 3 (wire F780-PK to wire 201-BK) on the wire harness connector.
Expected Result:
The resistance should be greater than 3000 Ohms.
Results:
    • OK - The resistance is greater than 3000 Ohms.
      Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the Test Steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".
      Stop.
    • NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 3000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 3.
Test Step 3. CHECK THE PARKING BRAKE SWITCH
    • Lower the cab.
    • Remove the parking brake switch.
    • Disconnect the wire harness from the switch.
    • Measure the resistance from terminal 2 to terminal 3 of the parking brake switch.
Expected Result:
The resistance should be greater than 5000 Ohms.
Results:
    • OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 Ohms.
      Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.
      Stop.
    • NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms.
      Repair: The parking brake switch has failed. Replace the parking brake switch.
      Stop.
Test Step 4. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR AFTER THE SYSTEM IS ENABLED
Note:
The seat will still need to be occupied and the armrest will need to be down. The key start switch will also need to be in the ON position.
    • Press and release the parking brake switch.
Expected Result:
The parking brake light should be off.
Results:
    • OK - The parking brake light is off.
      Repair: There is no problem at this time.
      Stop.
    • NOT OK - The parking brake is flashing. Proceed to Test Step 5.
Test Step 5. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT VALVE
    • Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.
    • Raise the cab. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cab Tilting".
    • Locate the Interlock ECM. The interlock ECM is located on the back side of the cab. The cab must be in the RAISED position in order to get to the ECM.
    • Disconnect the wire harness from the ECM.
    • Measure the resistance between contact 29 and contact 68 (wire H416-GN and wire 975-WH) of the wire harness connector.
Expected Result:
The resistance should be approximately 11 Ohms.
Results:
    • OK - The resistance is approximately 11 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 7.
    • NOT OK - The resistance is not approximately 11 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 6.
Test Step 6. CHECK THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT VALVE
    • Locate the hydrostatic pilot valve.
    • Disconnect the wire harness from the hydrostatic pilot valve.
    • Measure the resistance of the coil of the hydrostatic pilot valve.
Expected Result:
The resistance should be approximately 10.5 Ohms.
Results:
    • OK - The resistance is approximately 10.5 Ohms.
      Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.
      Stop.
    • NOT OK - The resistance is not approximately 10.5 Ohms.
      Repair: The coil of the hydrostatic pilot valve has failed. Replace the coil.
      Stop.
Test Step 7. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
    • Measure the resistance from contact 3 to contact 24 (wire 201-BK to wire G988-OR) of the wire harness connector.
Expected Result:
Results:
      Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the Test Steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".
      Stop.
    • NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 8.
Test Step 8. CHECK THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
    • Locate the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.
    • Disconnect the hydrostatic pilot solenoid from the wire harness.
    • Measure the resistance from the two solenoid wires to the machine frame.
Expected Result:
Results:
      Stop.
    • NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms.
      Repair: The hydrostatic pilot solenoid has failed. Replace the coil of the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.
      Stop.

Mark

Last edited:

Kris Morey

check out post # 3 above and there is a electrical schematic. if not the right one post your serial number and I will see what I can do
View attachment 172348
Mark
Went through the above procedures and few others, I found the coil of the hydrostatic Pilot Solenoid to read .9 Ohms, where the others read 10.5 Ohms. The wiring to them seems to check out fine and not be grounding anywhere inappropriate. Seat and arm bar sensors work fine, bucket controls great. Parking brake solenoid activates momentarily and moves freely the ECM finds fault and flashings parking light. I think I'm going to order a pilot solenoid assembly. PIN is 5FZ00724 if your interested.

I seen another procedure for checking ECM pin 13 wire against 1,11,24, 29, 62, 70. Not sure what this should produce.

Mark250

Occupation
I seen another procedure for checking ECM pin 13 wire against 1,11,24, 29, 62, 70. Not sure what this should produce.
Kris this check is to do with the park brake solenoid function, not sure if you have the whole procedure or not. but part three of this procedure is to do with checking for voltage at the park brake solenoid with the key on. there should be no voltage until the park brake switch is operated. If there is voltage greater than 2V it means it is from another source, in this case a short to a wire with +V. it then refers you to part six which is supposed to identify where that voltage is coming from
I believe there is a typo in part six as the procedure states to turn the key on and then check resistances of the pin numbers referred to. (you never have power on when using an ohmmeter)
as ECM pin # 13 is the out put to the park brake solenoid it should have no connection to any other circuit
with key off check continuity from pin #13 to 1,11,24,29,62,70
there should be no connection
Mark

Kris Morey

Kris this check is to do with the park brake solenoid function, not sure if you have the whole procedure or not. but part three of this procedure is to do with checking for voltage at the park brake solenoid with the key on.
Mark
Thanks! I'm on the right track. PIN 13 has no connection to any of those other listed pins. And with key off and on there is no voltage greater than 2v. If key is on and press the parking brake switch while occupying the seat with arm rest down I get 10.9V to the parking brake solenoid. Ordered a new hydrostatic Pilot Solenoid, to replace the faulty one.