• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2019 CAT 259D Lose Power after warm up

Chinzo

Hi fellas, we have 259D and when we use it for a while like 1hr later it will slow down if it has just a bucket, but will crawl if any attachments like power rake on it. It operates like a champ before this happens.
Machine serial: FTL21717

We have the following event codes present

E459-2
Machine
Engine Rated Horsepower
Output Changed
Engine power rating mismatch

E568-2
Machine
Unexpected Left Motor
Forward Speed Detected
Check the motor speed sensor and wiring

E569-2
Machine
Unexpected Left Motor
Reverse Speed Detected

E570-2
Machine
Unexpected Right Motor
Forward Speed Detected

E571-2
Machine
Unexpected Right Motor
Reverse Speed Detected

Things done so far, replaced air filters, oil filter, fuel filter, fuel screen.

Chinzo

understood, I’ve been watching the messages and no new messages logged, these just stay there.

If you would be kind to let me know as to where those track motor speed sensors are located please

Chinzo

The clue is in the name...... on the track motors. The doodad with the cable hanging out of it.

View attachment 310789
Thank you for the diagram, is track motor reachable by lifting the cab, and also do we have to unbolt it or visually check it, do you have diagram that zoomed out a bit so we can tell where exactly it’s located in relation to skid steer.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The speed sensors are priority #2. The 4 Events for them will NOT cause the machine to act the way you say it is acting.

See my question above about the fuel system. That should be your main focus for now.

They are those turny things with teeth on the oustide of them that drive the tracks, that's why they're called track motors.

1713922126026.png

Chinzo

Ok I will raise the cab tomorrow and give this little fella all deserved bath in the afternoon!!

Chinzo

Oh just noticed your fuel system question.

We ran the machine until fuel was gone and shut off due to starvation, then replaced the fuel water separator filter, inline little fuel filter. Then filled the tank with freshest diesel that Country Fair can offer. Anything else needed?

Nige

Couple of things that spring to mind.
1. While the tank was low you really should have let the machine sit overnight then drained all the water and sediment from the bottom of the tank first thing the following morning. There is a bung accessible from undeneath the machine.
2. The head of the secondary fuel filter/water separator is famous for the small ports in it getting blocked up with crud. Remove the entire filter head from the machine, then refer to the RH diagram and pull all the connections, elbows etc, out of it. Blow through the head passages with compressed air and do the same for all the connections, verify that the check valve #3 is operating correctly then reassemble.
3. It's worthwile testing the pressure relief valve #5 to make sure it is relieving correctly. IIRC the relief pressure is 1.5psi or thereabouts.
4. Does the electric fuel pump run when you turn on the key before starting the engine.?

1713923303446.png1713923390734.png

Chinzo

Thank you for being so pationate of others’ problems. People like you contribute to society greatly!

1. Next time when it runs low on fuel we can empty it. Or we could dump the fuel. Bung located by removing bottom plate where it drains oil? I thought hydraulic discharge port is there? I remember when we first time oil changing and removed wrong bolt and hydraulic fluid came out.

2. Will clean it with break cleaner then compressed air!

3. I don’t have a way to test it. I guess I could blow on it, if it’s 1.5psi it shouldn’t that hard.

4. Fuel bump does prime/run before start

Nige

Answers
1. Next time the tank is low would be fine. Tanks on machines like yours tend to accumulate cr@p for the simple reason that generally no-one takes much care of how clean a container they use for the fuel they dump into the machine.
2. That would work.
3. It does not take a lot of pressure to get it to open if my memory is correct. EDIT: IF you have any questions about it then post back. It's just a matter of finding the info.
4. Good info. That ticks one box.

Regarding the E459 I think you already have all the info you need to get into that.

Last edited:

Chinzo

Sounds good, got good amount of home work. Will report back in a few days! Thanks again Nige!

Chinzo

we’ve just flip opened the cab and checked underneath, little bit of dirt got washed but there is no way for us to get to the speed sensors, do track motors need to be removed in order to get to the sensors?

Nige

do track motors need to be removed in order to get to the sensors?
Someone else with practical experience needs to answer that but from all I know they can be accessed on the machine. It may be a case of feeling for the single bolt that holds the sensor in place because it's unlikely you wil lbe able to get eyes on it unless maybe you use a mirror.

Either way the speed sensors are problem #2 on the list. First thing is fixing the E459 Event.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Nige is the man ..heed his wise words.

Speed sensors are a pain to get to...best to remove tracks...or keeping tracks on, slide the whole track assembly away from machine to gain access.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've pulled the sensors in the field many times without removing the tracks. Its a PITA but doable. Much easier if you can slide the track frames out a few inches on the axles.

Seems odd to me to get speed sensor faults on both sides and both directions at the same time. I have seen the wiring for them get damaged. Usually its right where the harness passes thru the hole in the frame.