• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2008 f350 dump 6.4 bad piston diagnose

mattyt1984

Just bought truck and it runs rough has a bit of blow by and has low oil issue. I know these have a history of bad pistons. Anyway to confirm before pulling engine. Does cab need to come off to pull engine??

RenoHuskerDu

One of my sons is a full-time mechanic. His first boss is a master tech with all kinds of experience and certificates. He's done excellent work for us. He won't work on a 6.4 at all. Too many returns. He advises customers to go trade it in at a Ford stealer.

His second boss loves working on 6.4s, and when I asked him why he said they always come back and spend more. This was just one of the ways he was dishonest, and my son quit.

FYI and I wish I could tell you better news. FordNotYou.png

Tyler d4c

Best candidate for 12 valve cummins there ever was. I'm doing one now.
I've always wanted to try a c7 cat and a fuller 10 speed in one but so far haven't figured out how to make the wiring all talk to each other more ideas then time I guess.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Ford is closing the Superduty order board for MY22 on April 1st. MY23 orders may not begin until September.

RenoHuskerDu

At night when it's really windy in Texas and sleep is elusive, I dream of dropping an 855 BIG CAM in a Super Duty. It would only require a new frame, lower cabin, hood, and drivetrain. I guess I could start with an F650 to save some time.

gwhammy

Warmed up 12 valve works really great with the 5r110. I've got a 06 one ton with 4.10 gears and a decent running 12 valve. Gross 35,000 a lot with it and pulls it great. Doing a 08 I bought with sick 6.4 and putting a fresh 12 valve in it. Under 100,000 mile truck, had a new 5r110 in it. This one should last me out for work truck. Should be around 450 to 500 horse with the combo I used.
It can be done without taking the cab off, hardest part is getting that mess of parts out. It's amazing how well a cummins fits in them.

RenoHuskerDu

Warmed up 12 valve works really great with the 5r110. I've got a 06 one ton with 4.10 gears and a decent running 12 valve. Gross 35,000 a lot with it and pulls it great. Doing a 08 I bought with sick 6.4 and putting a fresh 12 valve in it. Under 100,000 mile truck, had a new 5r110 in it. This one should last me out for work truck. Should be around 450 to 500 horse with the combo I used.
It can be done without taking the cab off, hardest part is getting that mess of parts out. It's amazing how well a cummins fits in them.

How do you control the 5R110? Last I heard, Furd kept all its TCM code proprietary, and it's a complex shifter prone to grenading if not exactly controlled. Do you run the Furd PCM and it accepts ECM signals from the Cummins?

I do like the 5R110. We have one 6.0 in the fleet. It's been reliable. Stud/delete and no tune. All the rest of our trucks are 7.3 psd or idi. We drop ZF5s into the IDIs.

gwhammy

There are a few programmers out. The 06 has been programmed when it was put together. It could work a little better but I've learned to work around some of the odd stuff with the throttle. The only think I would like to work better is for it to shift sooner and lock up quicker when loaded. The 12 valve cummins seems to work better if it's kind of lugged. But all in all I'm happy with it. Once locked in overdrive it pulls 35,000 gross fairly well and that's asking a lot I feel. I don't have the 08 running yet, hopefully soon.

It's a shame what ford did with the 6.0 and the 6.4. The 06 I bought had cracked heads but ran great. The 6.4 truck had 93,000 miles when a turbo let go and ran parts threw the motor. I would run either motor if they were dependable but I can swap a 12 valve for the same money or less than fixing either motor.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Our new F 600 has the 7.3 gas. They went back to in block cam and push rods. Seems to have loads of power, but she likes her gas.

hseII

How do you control the 5R110? Last I heard, Furd kept all its TCM code proprietary, and it's a complex shifter prone to grenading if not exactly controlled. Do you run the Furd PCM and it accepts ECM signals from the Cummins?

I do like the 5R110. We have one 6.0 in the fleet. It's been reliable. Stud/delete and no tune. All the rest of our trucks are 7.3 psd or idi. We drop ZF5s into the IDIs.

mattyt1984

So any ideas how to ensure it's piston? It has blow by out the breather and exhaust. Assuming it is piston Im thinking to simply check temp of exhaust manifold to narrow it down to which side. Is it possible to get cylinder head off without removing cab? Looks like oil pan will come off. This way I can do this in frame. Then sell this truck!

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Compression test? I guess the piston can crack in half on them. If you mess around with the glow plugs, be careful I guess they can give you quite a zap.