• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2006 Cat 963C high/low switch

Dansig

There is no difference between high and low (rabbit/turtle). Machine is way to fast. Used GPS to test top speed and both high and low are 6 mph. Local dealer has tried everything,ecm, sensors,but cannot get it fugured out. Any help would be appreciated. Also curious to know what top speed should be in low. High is 6.1. Correct.

Dansig

CAT0963CK2DS02928. I don't know how to access diagnostic codes but the tech that worked on it says there are no codes.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I don't know how to access diagnostic codes
check under the RH arm rest. There should be 3 switches. Post a photo if you like and I can walk you through how to check for Codes.

Question: When you first turn on the key and the panel goes through its self-test the SERV CODE icon on the dash to the right of the hour meter window should light up as part of the test then go out. Does it.?

Cmark

Presumably the mechanic has verified that the switch is working via ET? If that's the case then there's nothing really that can go wrong electrically. If he has replaced the ECM then he should have carried out the calibration procedure. Top speed is set during calibration to 5.9 mph but it can be set lower if you like.

Is that the only problem, insofar as otherwise the machine goes smoothly from zero to top speed in response to the FNR being moved?

High range on the motors can be disabled for testing purposes by disconnecting the destroke signal lines.

Has anyone been tampering with the adjustments on the drive motors?

Dansig

The local dealer has been working on this machine for over a month now. They could not get the first ecm calibrated so ordered another new one and finally got the machine to track straight again. He says his computer shows the top speed in low at 4.5 mph. But when you actually drive it and use gps it is at 6 mph. Now when the machine is in high, the brakes lock up when you reach 6 mph. Almost sent me through the windshield. It does not lock up in low.

ippielb

Just throwing it out there but, is the neutral position sensor on the directional lever functional? On my 973C to change from Rabbit to Turtle the machine has to be completely stopped and the lever in neutral position, or park for a second or two. Even if i stop completely and immediately try and flip it from rabbit to turtle it will not switch. Does it have to do with pressures in the driveline to stabilize back to stationary? Is the computer registering track speed even when parked? Could it be a ground issue for that? A poor ground is a common cause for aftermarket automotive gauges to not function properly. Like i said just shooting in the dark here. Nige and Cmark know better then i will ever know.

Cmark

As far as I know, you should be able to change speeds on the fly, (but I could be wrong on that)

The neutral position switch functionality is part of the calibrations so it should have been checked.

Question to the OP - Did the mechanic spend about half an hour running the tractor up and down whilst fiddling with the switches under the armrest? That's the only way to calibrate the transmission.

If he did then he should have been able to set the top speed for you. If he didn't, it sounds like he may need some more training on the subject.

Dansig

check under the RH arm rest. There should be 3 switches. Post a photo if you like and I can walk you through how to check for Codes.

Question: When you first turn on the key and the panel goes through its self-test the SERV CODE icon on the dash to the right of the hour meter window should light up as part of the test then go out. Does it.?

Attachments

• Cat 963c 3.jpg
    Cat 963c 3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Cat 963c 2.jpg
    Cat 963c 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Cat 963c 1.jpg
    Cat 963c 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 8

Dansig

Nige, when I turn the key on the instrument panel lights up as in picture 1. After starting all the light go out after about 20 seconds.

Nige

That's good it goes out. It means there is nothing active.

If you want to take a look at historical (Logged) Codes this is the procedure. Refer to the illustration at the bottom:-

1. Put the key in the ON position. The engine can remain stopped.
2. The Service Switch (1) is spring loaded and biased to the centre. Move it to the "Scroll" position and hold it there. Watch the display window where the hour meter normally appears.
3. The display window should change from the hourmeter to show "-0-", then "-1-", etc, etc.
4. When the display window shows "-3-" release the Service Switch. It will return back to the centre position.
5. Any Logged Diagnostic Codes will start to scroll across the screen one at a time.
6. When you want to get back to Mode "-0-" (Normal Operating Mode), move the Service Switch again the the "Scroll" position and hold it there. The Modes will count upwards and eventually will show "-0-" again. At that point release the Service Switch and the hourmeter should appear in the display window.

1708391715093.png

Dansig

That's good it goes out. It means there is nothing active.

If you want to take a look at historical (Logged) Codes this is the procedure. Refer to the illustration at the bottom:-

1. Put the key in the ON position. The engine can remain stopped.
2. The Service Switch (1) is spring loaded and biased to the centre. Move it to the "Scroll" position and hold it there. Watch the display window where the hour meter normally appears.
3. The display window should change from the hourmeter to show "-0-", then "-1-", etc, etc.
4. When the display window shows "-3-" release the Service Switch. It will return back to the centre position.
5. Any Logged Diagnostic Codes will start to scroll across the screen one at a time.
6. When you want to get back to Mode "-0-" (Normal Operating Mode), move the Service Switch again the the "Scroll" position and hold it there. The Modes will count upwards and eventually will show "-0-" again. At that point release the Service Switch and the hourmeter should appear in the display window.

View attachment 305968

Attachments

• Cat 963C bill.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 19

Dansig

Niige,

Here is the bill from the local Cat dealer. They were unable to solve the problem and created a new one. The machine still runs at 6 mph in low. so even though they say the high /low is working it is not. In high gear the machine locks up when it hits 6mph. They said it is not the brakes but the machine thinks it is in neutral. Any help will be appreciated.

Welder Dave

You do realize that Cmark has extensive experience working on Cat hydrostat loaders? No offense to Nige, he's a wealth of info but Cmark asked you questions and you responded to Nige specifically. Seems odd but just an observation.

Dansig

No. I do not know anything about anyone in this forum. If Cmark could help me I would be grateful.

Nige

@Cmark is temporarily unavailable to the forum for reasons I won't bore you with at this point, so you're stuck with me and anyone else who wants to chime in.

Having said that though, some answers to the questions he asked in Post #8 above, specifically - "Question to the OP - Did the mechanic spend about half an hour running the tractor up and down whilst fiddling with the switches under the armrest? That's the only way to calibrate the transmission. If he did then he should have been able to set the top speed for you. If he didn't, it sounds like he may need some more training on the subject." might help in getting you some answers.

I've read through the dealer's service report and have a couple of questions.

1. How many visits by the dealer were involved in the work that was done on the machine to generate that report.? I get the impression it was at least two and maybe more.
2. In your words "They were unable to solve the problem and created a new one." How so.? I thought what happened was that they were unable to fix the problem they were originally called into troubleshoot.? Please can you elaborate a bit more.?
3. How did this all start.? Slowly getting worse over time or literally from one day to the next.?

Last edited:

Dansig

I bought the machine about 6 months ago. The high/low wasn't working when I got it. High was the exact same as low. There were no other problems. It ran fine in low and high and had no codes. I just thought the machine was way to fast and thought if the low was working it would be a much better machine. I was told that it should be a 70% reduction of high by the first mechanic and the second mechanic told be a 30% reduction. If I new then what I now know I would have just left it alone. The dealer made 1o to 12 trips to the house to work on it. Yes, they had machine on blocks and spent several hours or more with the switches under the armrest. When they had finally said it was all done, I came home from work and tried it out. Starting in low with the gps, I reached 6 mph. So there was no difference than when we started. When I put it in high, the machine locks up when it hits ^
6 mph. They came back out and decided they could not fix it unless I took it to there shop. So the machine will not run in high without send ou through the windshield.

Nige

Yes, they had machine on blocks and spent several hours or more with the switches under the armrest.
I may be wrong but AFAIK the only way to calibrate the transnmission is actually run the machine on the ground with the powertrain under load, not with the tracks spinning free in the air. I will endeavour to confirm that.

And a couple of minutes digging later..........
The calibration of the speed ranges must be performed on flat, firm ground. The oil temperature must be maintained at a temperature of 50 °C (122 °F) to 60 °C (140 °F) during the calibration. The calibration is done in five general steps. The calibration is done in the forward direction of travel and in the reverse direction of travel.

Do you have some "flat firm ground" available.? I would imagine the ground in question needs to be around a couple of hundred yards in length.