• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2005 genie s80 basket control problems

ratfink4600

I have an 05 s80 genie, when I got it , it had issues from ground and basket controls, found that previous owner had removed some wires from the 500 board in basket, some things jumped out, I got manual and put everything back to oem specs, I got it moving from basket only with override and got boom in/out working and swing, but no up and down. I recalibrated joysticks and it was originally throwing lots of faults but got it down to a 23-12 which was primary up down valve value to high, I was thinking I needed a joystick but came back to it a week later after it sitting and now won't drive again only can go in an out with boom no swing no up and down throwing a brake fault . not sure if maybe it needs a board? any help is appreciated

JLGRI

Have you checked the grounds in the basket? I use a power probe because you can see if the grounds are bad. Most of my weird issues have been improper grounds.

ratfink4600

hey good morning, I will check that today, should I just take them off and clean it and then bolt them back on? I think they are attached to the inside of the control box? or should I be looking somewhere else?

JLGRI

Its important to make sure they are clean, but also that they are good grounds. On most of these lifts the grounds all go to 1 point int he basket and then run down to the main ground control box on 1 thicker ground wire. I have seen that wire corrode at the base box a lot in the main board. I would check there first. Yes cleaning and reinstalling grounds is always good maintenance.

ratfink4600

ok I cleaned the ones in the basket yesterday an no changes, so I'll check the main box tomorrow thank-you, throwing lots of faults yesterday including a 23-12, 43-12, 54-21,62-21

JLGRI

JLGRI

after reading your posts a couple more times, I do think checking your main ground cable in the lower box is a good idea. Once again I am not sure about the version of your lifts manual, but there is a Brown Ground wire Location "c7-3" that I would look at first. I just fixed a JLG lift that had about 7 intermittent issues and was adding additional ones each day. It turned out to be the ground wires in the basket and the ground control box.

I don't know if you have a power probe or access to one, ( HF actually sells a couple models and so does snap-on) but they allow you do not only see what has voltage and how much, but also what is a ground and "how much ground" bad grounds still test ok with a regular test light, but on the power probe it shows you how much voltage leak you have. I found my lift to read 3-5 volts on a bad ground.

Just keep troubleshooting, you'll get it.

ratfink4600

thanks for your help! I'm gunna get back on it today once the rain stops! I'll let you know what i find