• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2003 JD 650H for $23K a good deal??

PETE_ROSE

Hello men, new to the forum. I have truly enjoyed reading and learning from everyone here and finally decided to join. I have been unable to find any current posts related to this so excuse me if this has been covered recently. I am considering purchasing a 2003 John Deere 650H dozer from a friend. He is asking $23K for it, approx 1200 hours on the machine. I have not inspected it as of yet and would like some general thoughts and opinions on it. It feels like a reasonable price from what I can tell but researching prices on line leaves me confused. There is a large disparity on prices of these machines on line. I am going to use it around my farm and for personal use, not really considering trying to make money with it. I do not have away to move it personally and will have to have a local company move it if the need ever arises.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance guys.

Pete

caterpillar13

look at it and if is not trashed BUY it , that is a steal, use it and sale it and put some coin in your pocket. if i wasn't on the wrong coast i would buy it in a heart beat

lantraxco

Machine's only run a hundred hours a year since new? I would suggest that's not true, though the hour meter may show that. If it is true oddly enough I would worry about issues from setting so much without running. Has your friend owned it since new, and how good a friend is he? LOL :rolleyes:

Give it a hard look for wear and looseness, check the track shoes and chains, look for a Deere part number on the track links, etc. Might be a great deal, might be buying somebody else's headaches, just be mindful. :IMO

PETE_ROSE

Thank you for the help guys! In response to how good a friend he is, we do not grill out at each other’s house on the weekends but we do work together and have known each other for many years. I would feel comfortable calling him or him calling me in the middle of the night to fix a flat tire for a daughter or spouse. He is not in the earth moving trades. He is the second owner I believe and I remember when he purchased the unit 7 or 8 years ago. I believe he uses it around his acreage and occasionally does small jobs for others. I would think the hour meter is accurate. It does have a forestry package, not completely sure what that entails. I have never owned a dozer but have owned a number of farm tractors. I am leery of auction machines as they seem to always have hidden issues and require some sort of major maintenance not long after purchase. I had hopes of purchasing it, using it to take care of a few projects over the next year or two and perhaps selling it and getting my money back. I enjoy working with machines and tractors, so I was looking forward to operating a bulldozer myself.