• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2001 international 4700 dt466e regular everyday people issues with them (NO POWER)

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
have a 01 service truck that's has high pressure oil pump replaced 2 yrs ago, an cam sensor, just had injector cups replaced,new fuel trainsfer pump, me hand fuel primer pump, trucks hard to start some mornings kinda acts as if its fuel pressure leaks down over nite,,,an some mornings may have to spray it to crank it, even on mornings ya don't have to spray it, when it does start it runs as if it had ran outta fuel an it spits an spudders till it catchs up then finally picks up. hadn't changed the high fuel pressure regulateing valve in return line in rear of head yet,,,(lil too pricey for guess work) but even out on the road the truck really never has any power,,,don't wanta pull hills an off road in soft or wet ground tends to wanta bogg down with out power,,, it being an automatic don't seem to help, on good day truck may see 65 mph an takes for ever to get there an can lose it as easy . it dang sure don't like to pull hard long inclines needless to say the ole road rage ladies pass me an fusing an me for being so slow. took truck to my buddy an he hooked it into his laptop an he said the computors turned up all it ll go . its just hard to think that's all mine ll do when I see the same motor in other trucks flying up an down the road leaveing me behind. not to mention my truck has a service body an has a big craine on it. would like a newer truck but don't have to funds to cover one,, I just keep loving on mine as it needs I an fixing it along the way. plus not to mention the gauges do the same sweeping back an forth all the time an work about 5 mins outta the day or will go wks with out working, any that's a bad issues aswell. any ideas bout the lose of power think mine is the 190 hp range. don't think its turbo related either cause turbo sounds great an don't smoke any.

Old JD

Few ideas. Check fuel pressure under load, should be around 60 psi. Check for fuel system restriction less than 4". There is a check ball on the top of the fuel filter prescreen housing, the updated check balls are yellow (you can remove the plastic cover with a quarter). You can check the fuel pressure regulator. Take the line off on the fuel tank side, you will need a way to catch the fuel. Start the engine, then shut it off. Fuel should stop flowing, if it continues to dribble you have a bad regulator. More than once I have seen pieces of the rubber check ball in the presrceen filter stuck in the fuel pressure regulator. This may be why you have to crank the engine over to fill the fuel system. Another thing, make sure all the fuel sleeves (rubber) on your metal lines are in good shape, if not the system will draw in air. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Old JD

Update to above post. The debris stuck in the regulators I have seen. Can't be the check ball, it would have to go through the fuel filter. Not sure what it was, will have to check closer next time

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
did you put new injectors in it we had to do that in ours a couple of months ago it had the same syphons as you are complaining about it was the orings around the injectors

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
hey , thanks for the tips with my 466 dt lack of power issues,,, my truck has the fuel filter housing with the filter that mounts upside down on the top of housing im not sure bout the small rubber check ball in it tho, whats its purpose , what does it do,,, an like for the last few days my trucks started rite up ,,,an every morning I go to start an warm it up an I ask myself is it gonna be one of the hard to start mornings,,, an the outside temp really don't effect the starting of it in mornings, but even before the hard morning starts here an there it still just don't have any power really going up the road. I see trucks like mine with same motor passing me left an right,,, is that maybe cause mine is the 190 area hp an not one of the 250 hp area classes? but then again I know few people that have the same low power issues as I face an there trucks run fine other than no bottom end going down the road an don't like pulling hard are rapid hills. or is this just the expectations of these particular motor,,, im in market for another truck to sit my service body on an im not looking towards another 4700 international with this motor,,,,seems like there in every truck made by international.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I know we are talking apples to oranges but, My 7.3 did the same thing. I was the seals around the injectors. Funny thing is it sat for 8 years. Sold it to my buddies boy and he jacks with it for a little while. Sucker fires and runs first crank. I had to stand on my starter for five minutes just to crank. Had to run for at least an hour before it could pull out of the drive way.

tpitt

Occupation
Heavy fire equip operator
You may have already tried this, but I believe there is a little screen filter behind the fuel pump. These will get plugged up. I'm going by memory, and my memory isn't very good anymore. Lol

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
i see ur a fella cat tech, I was one too for 8 yrs here in coulmbus Ga. I was a field tech for Yancey Brothers here,,got laid off 8 yrs ago when the market fell, I work for myself now still turning wrenchs. my truck use to start great back before it got ran hot an cooked my injector cups an it started dumping all the motor oil into the head an over into the fuel tank, replaced all 6 injector tubes an put all back together an now this crazy starting at times gets me,,, but every day after I start it up an let it run for 20 mins to warm up it drags butt up the road with hardly any power,,, bout a mile up the road it will get on up an go,, but still has the low power on bottom end,,,, almost feels like a dang Toyota 22R 4 cylinder motor in my truck. its bad when even the ole ladies that with fuss at when there out on there sunday drive pass me going up the road.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Been doing it for 15 years now. I was one of the lucky ones that skated through. Worked many a forty hour work week for a long time. So glad to be back in the money.
I'm going to go with the rest of the crew here, Sounds like a fuel flow issue. Have you checked supply pressure going to the head. Might even look at the return side. Passing to much fuel or restricted return. Had a restricted return once that kicked my but. Keep at it. The problem will show its face eventually.

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
yea back when I was having the issues of it back when I ran the truck hot 2 wks before the injector cups went out an I was in the middle of trouble shooting my issues I hooked my cat tetra gauge into my fuel filter hopuseing an it wasn't showing many psi s ,, so I put a new tran. pump on it. an it still didn't help it start up,,, then I hooked my clear glass tube into the fuel return line to tank an that's when I saw all the bubbles flowing threw the return line back to tank. then had my local machine shop guy come out on the side an he did my tubes with the head still on the motor. an after he repaired the tubes an I let the loc tite set with the tubes over nite I put it back together an it finally started up, then that's when the hard to start at times issue came into effect. an im tired of doing like CAT SIS says all the time INSTALL UR TEST ECM to ur tractor (like we all have one in tool box) rite LOL, didn't mind guessing games back when I spent cats money buying parts to trouble shoot with... but its different now when im buying test parts here an there outta my heck of a lot smaller pocket book ya. ive though several times bought buying the return line relief valve that's made like a cat banjo bolt but has the relief made in it. but what the kicker is is that my truck parts guy said that the valves like 300 bucks. wish I had a test one laying around. but when I asked my local guy at CAT truck sales an services (there our local international dealor) what the fuel pressure is suppose to be at idle an under load while driving up the road he didn't really answer it, he just says it should be round 35 psi. but never said when tho,, ive got tired of trying to trouble shoot it an just learned to deal with it.

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
I hadn't seen the screen wire filter yet,, I think my fuel gos from tank to pump to filter housing to head then feleif valve banjo bolt to tank. ive replaced the pump back when injector tubes failed, so if it was a filter made in pump it was replaced when new installed. but heres the kicker is there really something wrong with my truck with it being a lowerer horse power (190) than the others (250) hp , ive talked to few others an they ve had same issues I do with lower power, but is it be caused its the lower hp than the 250 hp. hadn't really ever got a YES OR NO answer from anyone. ive just learned to deal with it an keep putting money in it here an there to keep it in the road. im up too my ears trying toi figure it out an tired of spending money with guess work.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
the hard starting sounds to me like leaking injector O-rings did you put new one's in when installing injectors or possibly cut one on install it's always more fun working on some one else's junk never any when it's your's (and your pocket book) but it's even less fun when you pay some one to throw part's at it and not fix it.

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
yea installed 6 new injector oring kits dureing the repair process an lubed up dureing installation process. yup the mechanic has the crapiest truck out there, don't get maid to fix ur on junk, mechanics rule of thumb rite.