• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2001 873 Bobcat starting trouble out of the blue!

DBW08

I have a 2001 873 bobcat with pretty low hours and never had any problems with it until now! yesterday my dad and a friend were loading the dump truck with it and ran it for about an hour or so and shut it off. just 10 or 15 min later dad got in it to move it and it wouldn't start. our friend that was there said it seemed like maybe the fuel regulator so went and bought one and that was a 400$ mistake because that didn't fix it!!changed fuel/air filters to and no water in fuel and its getting fuel just won't start. sounds like something electronic to me, maybe a sensor or something or some sort of kill switch or something I don't know about! anyone with any ideas or suggestions or even a fix to the problem? thanks for the help!!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF DBW08. :drinkup

If it has the Deutz F1011F engine, you might want to check if the timing belt has failed, front of engine driven by crankshaft. It's behind a cover held on by machine screws, but, unless someone has already removed it, one of the lower screws that hold the cover is a torx plus head, don't recall what size it is. However, you may be able to remove all the other cover screws to pull cover back enough to check timing belt.

Bobcatdan

Have you check fuses and swapped relays? The only thing electrical that will prevent starting is the fuel shut off solenoid. When you replaced it, did the connector smell burnt? Normally if bad, it will be burnt. If you pull the solenoid out, the engine will start if that is the problem. There are no safety systems that prevent cranking or starting. If the timing belt was broke, it would spin over like there was no compression. Check your oil level. If the transfer pump is bad, they can pump fuel into the crankcase starving the unit pumps.

DBW08

Thanks for all the tips and help yal! But we found a ground wire on the alternator a little loose and took the new fuel reg solenoid back off and put the old one back on and it turned over one time and fired right up! don't really know what really was the problem but guess it was just that loose ground? But it's running fine again so that's all im worried about! Thanks again for all the help!