• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1999 Ford/NH 555e purchase

MJE

First time post...I just purchased a 1999 Ford/NH 555e with 2,000 hours, 4x4 and 4/1 bucket - $12k. I bought it from the grandson of a guy who purchased it (when he was 74) and it sat in his barn for most of its life. Anyway, it had a number of leaks...7 cylinders have been repacked and I have a few more to go. All of the fluids show no signs of troubles but given its stationary life I would be interested in knowing any other concerns - beyond seal leaks - that I should be thinking/worried about.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Metalman 55

Good luck with the purchase there MJE. That is low hours for a machine of that vintage.........good price too. Not a Ford/NH owner so maybe some others may chime in for advise. I have a Case 580SM.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I certainly run it for a while before replacing to many seals warming them up good a few times they may reseat themselves after softening up.

MJE

I certainly run it for a while before replacing to many seals warming them up good a few times they may reseat themselves after softening up.
Great advice Billrog! Many thanks!

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Those are very low hrs. I'm sure that machine has many years left in it. Since it's been under cover the hoses may not be in to bad of shape either hopefully your lucky. Regardless your going to have lots of fun backhoes are a very versatile machine.

jimg984

rats and mice are bad to chew wires when in a barn for long time.. sounds like you almost good to go good luck I have 555A-XL ford runs and strong, mine has 3 levers to operate the backhoe what your have?

MJE

Jimg984 - two levers in the back.

NH575E - ROPS...but might put cab kit on it.

Catsparky1

I love me some ford hoes , strong , powerful and quite reliable . My buddies dad had like 8 or 10 of them in the 80s . Spent lots of time on them and liked them . Best operator I have ever worked with swore by them . As far as fixens that aint what I do unless it is real simple .

I think the 555 was one of the best hoes built .

Good luck with it hope it serves you well YO .

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Good luck with your new machine!!!! I'm also looking at a 555E. Yours makes mine sound too expensive!!! Post some pictures when you can. Thanks!!!!