• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1998 416c cat backhoe, tans fluid type?

Dougie G

Hello,
I have a 1998 416c it cat 4x4. What fluid is used in the transmission? It looks like hydraulic oil. I don't have a manual. I heated it up to about 210 deg for a short while before I noticed it. I'm a little worried about that. It was a hot day, and I was going up a very long hill on road, in third. As soon as I noticed, I geared down to second and the the temperature went down immediately. I think I checked the right dip stick. I checked the one beside the hydraulic dip stick.
Any help would be appreciated.
Doug

heymccall

TO4 spec 10W.
Change the spin on transmission filter
Separate the cooling stack and flush out all debris.
Ensure alternator belt is tight.
Inspect air conditioner brackets for fractures.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
In response to your not having a manual, are you aware that you can download a pdf copy from Cat's website for about $45. Loads of useful information in it regarding maintenance and lots more.
The website is not 100% intuitive so if you have problems post back and I'll try to walk you through it. You will need your machine Serial Number
https://catpublications.com/

Dougie G

TO4 spec 10W. - Are you recommending I change the oil. Do you know the capacity.
Change the spin on transmission filter- should be located on the transmission?
Separate the cooling stack and flush out all debris.- I'm not sure what the cooling stack is?
Ensure alternator belt is tight.
Inspect air conditioner brackets for fractures.
- I don't think I have air-conditioning.

Dougie G

In response to your not having a manual, are you aware that you can download a pdf copy from Cat's website for about $45. Loads of useful information in it regarding maintenance and lots more.
The website is not 100% intuitive so if you have problems post back and I'll try to walk you through it. You will need your machine Serial Number
https://catpublications.com/
I didn't know that. I used to have two manuals and hand books and parts manual but lost them all in a house fire. The serial # is; 1WR093918

Nige

I have to apologize, the manual for your 416C is actually $66 for a downloadable pdf. Go to the link I posted above and put SEBU6873 in the search box. It applies to all machines of S/N-prefix 1WR.

If you want a Parts Manual ($89) then you'll need to clarify your Serial Number. There should only be 5 digits after the "1WR", not 6. If your S/N is below 1WR08115, search for SEBP2549, if it is 1WR08116 or higher, search for SEBP2888.

heymccall

The radiator/ hydraulic cooler/ air conditioning condenser.
Debris gets trapped between them, driving temperatures up higher than normal. All of my C series backhoes need the coolers/ radiator leaned apart and cleaned, between and through, every couple thousand hours.

Nige

The "cooling stack" is the combination of radiator, oil cooler, and A/C condenser. The way it is assembled makes it almost impossible to clean without removing it and separating the 3 component parts. There are 2 separate procedures, one to remove the unit, the other to disassemble it. Both are attached below.

Attachments

• Remove & Install.pdf
    415 KB · Views: 14
  • Disassembly & Assembly.pdf
    201.9 KB · Views: 9

Dougie G

The "cooling stack" is the combination of radiator, oil cooler, and A/C condenser. The way it is assembled makes it almost impossible to clean without removing it and separating the 3 component parts. There are 2 separate procedures, one to remove the unit, the other to disassemble it. Both are attached below.
Thank You