• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1997 international 4900

89.ho.ss

I just purchased a plow truck 1997 international 4900 s/a I am having a problem with the dash.. from what I hear it's common. But I also cannot find the air brake warning buzzer. The truck is in real good shape but needs a rocker panel. Is there any place that they can be purchased? Or am I going to have to make it up myself? Any place to get a repair manual? Thanks in advance

mekanik

What is the problem with the dash? The warning buzzer should be in the fuse box on the left side under the dash.
It plugs into one of the sockets. Its taller than the cover so there is a notch cut out for it.

Terry

89.ho.ss

The tach and spedo don't work and most of the lights in the dash don't come on either. Now seeing it the buzzer doesn't work cause some one removed it. Thank you

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
send it to the place in Virginia to get it fixed, i can't remember the name of it exactly but they fixed the dash in my 4700 for around $200 bucks.

mekanik

A common problem with the International instrument panel is the solder joints on the connectors on the circuit
board that plug into the dash harness crack and make intermittent or no connection.
This is caused by the harness connectors vibrating and bouncing when the vehicle hits bumps.
The Instrument panel has to be removed and the circuit board removed from the panel and the connectors re-soldered.
I have fixed quite a few International instrument panels over the years that had this problem.
Every one had different symptoms. I strongly recommend replacing all the bulbs while you are in there as they do burn out.

Terry

89.ho.ss

Thank you for the help. I got hold of a guy out of mass. 250 all completely rebuilt. I am very happy with it.

89.ho.ss

I am also looking into why my truck isn't starting. It cranks over for about 3-5 seconds then stops but won't start. Now this is when I have jumper cables hooked up. But the service light is flashing really fast. If I remove the number 4 relay the light is steady and nice and bright. IDK if it's a ground problem of a batt problem. Anyone have any advice? Thank you

89.ho.ss

I have replaced the batteries they were bad. Still doesn't start. Found out the wiring plug behind the key switch is melted and one wire is not connected. I guess from what international says the computer is trying to protect the motor. Two relays mounted on the center firewall by the cpu are clicking like crazy. Found out the ground is flickering

89.ho.ss

I replaced the key switch and the wiring still having relays clicking and the neutral switch is clicking also. Does anyone know what the relays are that are with the ecm above the engine

mekanik

The brake warning buzzer plugs into the fuse box under the left side of the
dash the fuse box cover has a cut out for it so it can close with the buzzer installed.

There should be two fuses in the battery box for the engine make sure they are good.
There is a three pin plug in the battery box as well that the fuses connect through the
third pin the white wire is the ECM ground. Make sure that these connections are good.

There are ground cables that goes from the starter ground stud to the frame and
engine block. There are two power wires coming off the positive post on the starter
that feed the cab make sure all these connections are good. Also follow the wires
and make sure they have not rubbed through. Holes in the insulation can result in
corrosion eating away the conductor inside the wire. Yank on the wires and see
if anything lets go. I was taught that all wires and terminals should stand up to the
10Lb tug test if something lets go you found the problem.

Terry

Last edited:

mekanik

This is the component locations for the engine electrical.
I can email you a larger copy if you PM me your email.
The website has reduced it's size for some reason.
Terry

EGED165.jpg

Last edited:

89.ho.ss

So it goes map sensor then there are three relays on top of my engine. According to the pic the inhibit relay is going to be behind the air cleaner. I have 3 relays and the map sensor on mine

mekanik

If you remove the top cover on the dash in front of the passenger's seat you will
find more relays. The crank inhibit relay is in there. Do you have an exhaust brake?
That's probably what the third relay by the IDM is.

Terry

mekanik

The exhaust brake is an air operated butterfly valve located in the exhaust pipe behind the turbo.
If you have the third relay you probably have an exhaust brake. The exhaust brake doesn't do a
lot but it helps.

Terry