• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1997 genie s-60

scasey5

New to the forum and looking for help, I own a 1997 genie s-60 straight boom lift dual fuel with the ford engine. the problem i'm having is it starts fine and runs fine, except it stalls out randomly. It might stall out 3 times in 5 minutes, and than not stall out for 5 hours. I have had the fuel tank drained and cleaned, a new fuel pump and lines put on it, all services have been done and are up to date, and it will idol and never stall. Hoping someone might point me in the right direction as to what the problem is, it is very frustrating. thanks. oh by the way I am not mechanically handy.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF scasey5. :drinkup

I haven't looked up a 97 model, does it have distributor ignition or DIS? When does the stall happen, with engine running no load, or when engine is attempting to throttle up?

scasey5

I don't know if it has distributor ignition or DIS? the stall happens using any of the boom functions from the basket under load, it will idile all day in rabbit or turtle mode without stalling out. Very Fustrating. hopefully this helps you, thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Still just a guess on my part as I can't hear the engine to hear what it's doing as to whether it's a stall throttling up or a stall caused by a hydraulic issue. If I assume it's a carburetor stall, I know the Precision Governor does work because you stated it will run in rabbit mode. When you engage a function, whether in rabbit (hi engine) or turtle (low engine), the precision governor kicks up the throttle to maintain engine speed. If that's the way it stalls, it may be a carburetor/gas problem, can't say for sure at this point. Can you possibly get your hands on a propane tank to try that on the machine?

scasey5

willie59,
the stall is always under the use of any one of the functions, I will have to try using the machine on propane to see if it still happens, if it does can I assume it is a hydraulic issue? if not than a fuel issue, am I correct in assuming that?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I suggested using propane because, if the propane system is working properly, and the engine responds properly while using propane, than an easy way to conclude you have a problem with either gasoline or the carb itself. I can't say it's your problem at this point, but it's my experience that our current ethanol blends of gasoline wreak havoc on Zenith carburetors, they don't like alcohol gas at all.

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
Willie or anyone, I bought a 2006 S60 Genie Straight Stick Boom last fall to add to the 1976 JLG 40F and it suddenly developed a glitch that has us scratching our heads and need a little help. When applying a load (and I haven't identified if it's certain functions) the motor kills. It's a Duetz Deisel so at first we assumed a clogged fuel filter because it sat mostly idle this winter (on a job that couldn't get approval from engineer to start) and figured it was gelled up. We changed the filter and added new fuel but it still dies.
Any ideas?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Willie or anyone, I bought a 2006 S60 Genie Straight Stick Boom last fall to add to the 1976 JLG 40F and it suddenly developed a glitch that has us scratching our heads and need a little help. When applying a load (and I haven't identified if it's certain functions) the motor kills. It's a Duetz Deisel so at first we assumed a clogged fuel filter because it sat mostly idle this winter (on a job that couldn't get approval from engineer to start) and figured it was gelled up. We changed the filter and added new fuel but it still dies.
Any ideas?

Is the engine operating at the RPM specified in the manual? That would be the first thing I'd check.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Is the engine operating at the RPM specified in the manual? That would be the first thing I'd check.

For sure that. Most likely a Deutz F4L1011F engine, injection pump has internal governor to hold engine RPM when loading and unloaded.

Can you better describe how the engine dies? Typically, if a diesel has a slight fuel supply problem (clogged filter, etc), it doesn't stall immediately like you turned the ignition off, instead you'll notice something like a loss of power, loss of RPM, engine labors to keep running, and of course the more load applied it will kill the engine from lack of power to continue running. Other suspects would be faulty lift pump, and a good number of Deutz engines had a strainer screen inside the lift pump that will clog with debris.

Also, I don't think that machine came fitted with an inline filter, but I've seen plenty of folks add an inline filter in the fuel supply line. But many inline filters are for gasoline only, not compatible with diesel fuel. If anything, one should fit an inline strainer in the supply line if desired.

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
For sure that. Most likely a Deutz F4L1011F engine, injection pump has internal governor to hold engine RPM when loading and unloaded.

Can you better describe how the engine dies? Typically, if a diesel has a slight fuel supply problem (clogged filter, etc), it doesn't stall immediately like you turned the ignition off, instead you'll notice something like a loss of power, loss of RPM, engine labors to keep running, and of course the more load applied it will kill the engine from lack of power to continue running. Other suspects would be faulty lift pump, and a good number of Deutz engines had a strainer screen inside the lift pump that will clog with debris.

Also, I don't think that machine came fitted with an inline filter, but I've seen plenty of folks add an inline filter in the fuel supply line. But many inline filters are for gasoline only, not compatible with diesel fuel. If anything, one should fit an inline strainer in the supply line if desired.

Yes it stalls like you shut it off not starving for fuel. I had two other suggestions from a local guy. He said to make sure the alternator is putting out the 14.6 volts or whatever the spec is and charging the battery properly because so many of the systems are relying on the correct voltage also he said something about a high engine limiter board?

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
I called him to verify the terminology and he said if it does it on other functions than drive it's probably not the horse power limiter board and he's not sure of the 2005 (not 06) has one. They have a 1999. He agreed to check the strainer screen but wasn't sure based on what I said it is fuel related. I'm going to check that and start cleaning contacts everywhere. Until I get more insight from you and other helpful folks.

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor

I didn't put a tach on it but it sure sounds right. I had other comments/speculation below. I thought you were retiring and doing a road trip through Minnesota.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
also he said something about a high engine limiter board?

In Genie terminology, the horsepower limiter board is in the platform control box and controls speed of proportional functions, boom lift, swing, drive, etc. But on many Genie machines there is a ignition/start module inside the lower control box, has a row of LED lights on it. I can't recall exactly what all it controls, been too many years since I've messed with Genie machines, but it definitely controls the ignition circuit and will shut the engine down if something is awry. Might be worth taking a look at.

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
In Genie terminology, the horsepower limiter board is in the platform control box and controls speed of proportional functions, boom lift, swing, drive, etc. But on many Genie machines there is a ignition/start module inside the lower control box, has a row of LED lights on it. I can't recall exactly what all it controls, been too many years since I've messed with Genie machines, but it definitely controls the ignition circuit and will shut the engine down if something is awry. Might be worth taking a look at.

I checked the little fuel filter on the engine and it only had a tiny bit of gunk on it so thats checked off. It does in fact have an inline filter as well that someone added. So don't think fuel is the issue. I'll check voltage and after that not sure how to check the board in the control panel and Genie seems to be no help. I put an email out to them last Wednesday and still no response. I probably should of bought another JLG.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
What's the serial number of that machine?

BTW, and may not necessarily be your problem, but many inline fuel filters are gasoline only, not compatible with diesel. If you're going to have an inline it should be a mesh strainer, not a filter. What size is the fuel supply line, 5/16 or 3/8"?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I didn't put a tach on it but it sure sounds right. I had other comments/speculation below. I thought you were retiring and doing a road trip through Minnesota.

I'm about 18 to 24 months away from retirement still. But I can see light at the end of the tunnel!

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
What's the serial number of that machine?

BTW, and may not necessarily be your problem, but many inline fuel filters are gasoline only, not compatible with diesel. If you're going to have an inline it should be a mesh strainer, not a filter. What size is the fuel supply line, 5/16 or 3/8"?

I will check the line size and verify it's a mesh filter. The serial number is S6005-11510.

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
It was a diesel filter my assistant installed still need to check size later.

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
willie59,
the stall is always under the use of any one of the functions, I will have to try using the machine on propane to see if it still happens, if it does can I assume it is a hydraulic issue? if not than a fuel issue, am I correct in assuming that?

Did you ever figure out the problem? I didn't read your post until now but we share the same issue and mine is a 2005 Diesel. I used it yesterday and for the first hour or so it worked perfect then started doing it again and I thought I had it isolated it to Rabbit mode then it died on Turtle mode. Then all the sudden it worked fine for the next hour and I shut it down for the day. Crazy problem!

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
New to the forum and looking for help, I own a 1997 genie s-60 straight boom lift dual fuel with the ford engine. the problem i'm having is it starts fine and runs fine, except it stalls out randomly. It might stall out 3 times in 5 minutes, and than not stall out for 5 hours. I have had the fuel tank drained and cleaned, a new fuel pump and lines put on it, all services have been done and are up to date, and it will idol and never stall. Hoping someone might point me in the right direction as to what the problem is, it is very frustrating. thanks. oh by the way I am not mechanically handy.

Did you ever figure out the problem? I didn't read your post until now but we share the same issue and mine is a 2005 Diesel. I used it yesterday and for the first hour or so it worked perfect then started doing it again and I thought I had it isolated it to Rabbit mode then it died on Turtle mode. Then all the sudden it worked fine for the next hour and I shut it down for the day. Crazy problem!