• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1997 Ford LT9000 tandem dump truck

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Thanks for everyone's replies. I think this engine/transmission combo will be suited well enough for what I want. Power and gearing seem to be adequate and it's a lot lighter than I thought. I'm only tagged to 54K gross, so as far as towing I'll be limited to 32K. Been eyeing 8-ton class excavators pretty hard, this would tow one of those nicely I think.

Adding a pintle hitch will be the first big project, and may not be as easy as my other trucks. If I bring a butt plate straight down I think the rear air brake chamber will hit it at full tandem articulation. I'll get more pics and measurements when I get into that project so yall can help advise.
A lot of older trucks here will go with a single brake pot on the back axle, because their maxis will rub on the asphalt spreader. Unless you are planning on running heavy, and parking on steep hills, a single axle park break should hold no problem

Truck Shop

But what I find absurd is labeling anything that works well and fits certain needs a turd. That's just my opinion.
What I find absurd is labeling a 13 spd as crappy.
keep the crappy 13sp and
And that's just my opinion, but I can say I'm a real driver and have rebuilt scads of eatons. Flipping
the red splitter with thumb can be strenuous and mind boggling for some.
Our truck is a 10 with the blue switch for the low 5 offroad gears, or starting out on Seattle hills. It does the needful but is no speed demon loaded.
That's a 15 spd.

Last edited:

cfherrman

Truck shop what do you call a trans that has 7 road gears. You have 1 top left, 2 straight down, 3rd is over and back. There is a gear straight forward of 3rd but high side 1st is almost the same ratio. High side is the same but you use the last gear forward of the 3rd hole.

I drove two trucks like this everyone called them 8 speeds and funny enough they used that useless low side gear

Last edited:

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
What I find absurd is labeling a 13 spd as crappy.

And that's just my opinion, but I can say I'm a real driver and have rebuilt scads of eatons. Flipping
the red splitter with thumb can be strenuous and mind boggling for some.

That's a 15 spd.
Those little International tandems this company had, with the DT466s. They had a 13 speed with a deep reduction. What were they called?

skyking1

Thanks for everyone's replies. I think this engine/transmission combo will be suited well enough for what I want. Power and gearing seem to be adequate and it's a lot lighter than I thought. I'm only tagged to 54K gross, so as far as towing I'll be limited to 32K. Been eyeing 8-ton class excavators pretty hard, this would tow one of those nicely I think.

Adding a pintle hitch will be the first big project, and may not be as easy as my other trucks. If I bring a butt plate straight down I think the rear air brake chamber will hit it at full tandem articulation. I'll get more pics and measurements when I get into that project so yall can help advise.
Our truck had the heavy duty air compensated high pintle for the big trailers.
I had a local shop add that 2 1/2" receiver below. The back plate was already cut at an angle to miss the maxis, and they added a 3" box tube across that to get the perfect height.
When they added that tube they angle cut it and frenched the ends so it looks sharp, then they cut and fitted big knife plates up to the 1/2" plate so it is strong.
I have that dialed in for our 16K trailer so I can hook it to either this or the 1 ton and it tows flat. That's a must for torsion axles.
PXL_20201030_150244193.jpg

MG84

ur truck had the heavy duty air compensated high pintle for the big trailers.
I had a local shop add that 2 1/2" receiver below. The back plate was already cut at an angle to miss the maxis, and they added a 3" box tube across that to get the perfect height....

I saw some pics of that hitch in another thread of yours, looks about like what I'm going to have to do. I generally like to notch the plate and inset it in the frame a little, but the rear hinge assy. is already notched in. Will probably just have to butt weld it to the back of the frame, and across the angle for the hinges. Between that and some large gussets underneath it should be fine.

Got the power divider and lockers working today, turned out to just be a bad connection at the circut breaker. Cleaned that up and they worked fine. Jacked up the back of the truck, with the engine and parking brake off I could turn the wheels/driveshafts to see what locked what. The switches do not work as I thought, the larger lever type switch to the far left of the dash labeled "Diff Lock-Out" is actually the power divider (red light that says "Diff Lock" comes on the dash), the small toggle switch below and right of the steering column labeled "Wheel Lock" is the lockers, but no light. Does this sound right?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Our truck had the heavy duty air compensated high pintle for the big trailers.
I had a local shop add that 2 1/2" receiver below. The back plate was already cut at an angle to miss the maxis, and they added a 3" box tube across that to get the perfect height.
When they added that tube they angle cut it and frenched the ends so it looks sharp, then they cut and fitted big knife plates up to the 1/2" plate so it is strong.
I have that dialed in for our 16K trailer so I can hook it to either this or the 1 ton and it tows flat. That's a must for torsion axles.
View attachment 309063
Our's are on a larger version of the tube receiver you have on the bottom. The truck can't back into the asphalt spreader or shoulder spreader with the hitch on

Queenslander

Just going back to tailgates for a moment.
These two-way tailgates are very common here, there would be many more trucks with them than without.
They have air latches and operate like a normal tailgate… drop in a pin on the LHS, release the latch on the RHS and they swing around and latch on the side of the body.
Legally, they make the truck oversized when opened and on the road but we work in regional areas and haven’t been bothered by the constabulary yet..they are removable though.

View attachment IMG_4317.jpeg
View attachment IMG_4316.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4316.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4317.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I have to pull the lower hitch to hook that upper to the 20 ton.
The 20 ton is the one I mean we have on the receiver. It's legal, but every time I pull that little half inch pin to remove the hitch, I'm amazed it holds.

skyking1

Just going back to tailgates for a moment.
These two-way tailgates are very common here, there would be many more trucks with them than without.
They have air latches and operate like a normal tailgate… drop in a pin on the LHS, release the latch on the RHS and they swing around and latch on the side of the body.
Legally, they make the truck oversized when opened and on the road but we work in regional areas and haven’t been bothered by the constabulary yet..they are removable though.

View attachment 309101
View attachment 309102
I thought about fabbing my own setup for our truck.
1) Put in a plug section to get it upright. This would help a lot for scooping out with the mini, the thumb hits the raked tailgate before the edge of the bucket and it leaves a couple of buckets behind. The big machine leaves a couple of 5 gallon buckets by comparison!
2) recess the hinges once again to help the mini.
3)Figure out all that monkeymotion above.

Thankfully my retirement got in the way of that and any other "good ideas".

MG84

Got a couple maintenance questions for yall.

Is there only one grease fitting for the clutch cross shaft? I found one on the passenger side, but not on the driver side where the arm is?

What kind of dryer is this? It's not the Bendix AD9 that the truck originally would have come with, I want to service it and need to find parts:
IMG_20240331_134355.jpeg

skyking1

T.O.B. is a hose coming out of the arm hole on our truck. Go lightly with all those, get sloppy and it can get where you don't want it.

Truck Shop

That is a Obsolete Haldex/Midland air dryer. DA33100--expensive add a X for reman.
driver side where the arm is?
Either that area of bell is full of dirt/grease covering it or it broke off or got loose spun it's self out.
T/O bearing is to be greased just so a small blob appears between it and clutch brake.

Last edited:

MG84

I’ll search around for the other fitting, not much crud or dirt under the truck so either I’m blind or it fell out. Already greased the throwout bearing.

Should I swap out the dryer for something more common? Bendix AD9? ADSP?

Tyler d4c

That is a Obsolete Haldex/Midland air dryer. DA33100--expensive add a X for reman.

Either that area of bell is full of dirt/grease covering it or it broke off or got loose spun it's self out.
T/O bearing is to be greased just so a small blob appears between it and clutch brake.
Any reason not to replace it with a ad9